Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Well the girls are in their new house  (Read 2134 times)

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
Well the girls are in their new house
« on: May 02, 2009, 10:46:35 am »
They arrived yesterday and I put them in the hive on Friday evening I do have pictures and a small video of it I will post them later.  The best part was when my wife was filming and she says "Oh my god they are coming for me"  lol its on tape and she can't deny it either LOL.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Well the girls are in their new house
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:42:47 pm »
Sounds like it was a fun day, welcome to beekeeping :)

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 02:31:20 pm »
ok here are a few pics. of me putting them in their new home.  I just couldn't believe how good they where I didn't wear any protective clothing and got no stings.  I also learned something already I watched them carry a dead bee about 30 feet from the hive and drop it off in the grass, it was so cool.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31786829@N07/

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 04:29:26 pm »
Hey Congratualtions!! I know how anxious you were to get those bees, the days just drag when you are waiting don't they.
I have some I got a couple of weeks ago but I have more coming and I am just as excited about those as I was about the first ones.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 05:17:31 pm »
They sure did, I have been running out there and just watching them all day long.  I can't wait to do my first hive inspection next week.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 05:28:19 pm »
Welcome to the best live entertainment in the world!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 07:00:52 pm »
Glad you got your bees without trouble.  I was at Cedar Glen Bees today and they've really ramped up their operation over the confused operation it has been over the past couple of years.  They've gone to making their woodenware.  The woodenware shop is now in the garage which has forced the store into the living and dinning rooms.  I bought a new "Professional" smoker and [iContemporary Queen Rearing[/i] by Harry H Laidlaw, Jr.  It's a book I've been wanting for awhile.
They had their crew there building woodenware while customers came to pickup their packages of bees.

They are at the point where they need to build a dedicated building for the business, so they can go back to keeping the packages in the garage instead of stacked up in the driveway.  Luckily the rain was in short sprinkles or there could have been problems with the bees. 

They mean well, they are learning retail sales, and they are easy to deal with, the fact that they could ship the bees to vermmy35 is a big inprovement in operations that couldn't have happened a year or 2 ago.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:52:53 am »
Hi Brian,

Glad to hear Cedar Glen have received their packages and are busy.  I always enjoy meeting Donna and Mike, nice people.  Will be dropping by them my self in the next day or two to pick up my OWCs.

Vermmy35,

Congratulations on your new bees.  I'm sure you are going to have a whale of a time with them.  Look forward to hearing how they do this summer. Please keep posting.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 12:32:19 am »
I couldn't hive my bees Saturday because of too many rain showers and I was having trouble staying awake (narcolepsy) by the time my granddaughter and I got back home so had to wait until today.  Nice sunny morning to do the job.  I went out with my daughter (that I'm mentoring bees to) and 3 of my grandkids.  The oldest, my granddaughter soon got bored but the twin boys were there to the last and helped by fetching the equipment I needed from the garden cart, got to see the queens in the cages just before I released them, and were awed by frames of brood in the other hives we checked.

I left my cane (sawed of broken shovel handle) at Cedar Glen so sent them an email Saturday night.  Then had to turn around and call Cedar Glen today as the split lost it's queen since the last inspection.  Better to get one while it's available than try to raise my own again.  The remaining bees have backfilled all 5 frames with honey.  I pulled a frame of brood from the parent hive and will check it for queen cells when I install the queen on Tuesday.  I have to get the queen Monday afternoon after my work crew leaves, so won't be able to install her immediately.

I'll pull the queen cages on the 2 packages then too.  Set up my community feeding station again to keep the established hives from robbing the packages.  Quick way to go through 5 gallons of syrup, community feeder and feeding both packages.

All in all it was a good 2 hours spent with the family.  Teaching the grandkids prolonged everything but it was worth it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything