Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: rain  (Read 6650 times)

Offline westmar

• House Bee
rain
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:37:32 pm »
we had 72ml her in 24 hours.going to knock the flow on the sandal wood about.i been trying to get to my bee yard for a month it been wet over there.bees probably swarmed on me yard is 300 odd km away.any one getting wet feet.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
Re: rain
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:41:57 pm »
About three weeks of rain and drizzle here and still raining with more forecast.
Had some thunderstorms too.
I'm waiting for a bit of sun to change over to bottom boxes with beetle traps.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:38:39 am »
yea they saying another front moving in next week, might bee in for good summer.went down checked creek crossing .plenty of river gum budding up plus coolibah.coolibah if it flowering we get rain the flower drops off.red gum are the same.what sort traps u using what bait are u using.at home her I'm not seeing hive beetle yet this season.i will when it warms up only time thing.my other yard got plenty in. its 49km from any town never had them till took bees koogan way.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 05:52:02 am »
Yeah we have a mango orchard, and as often as not we lose the crop by the rain knocking off the flowers/fruits.
I'm using home made traps from 100ml aluminium canisters. I screw the lid on underneath the hive and glue it with silicone and drill holes through into bottom box. Then put vinegar and vege oil in the tin and screw it on from underneath the hive. The beetles go down to hide, and it catches larvae too.
Still raining. Outdoors the ground is mud and leeches.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »
good idea.i us cd cases take side of them us wood glue paint on diatomaceous earth works okay.82ml her wont be moving her for awhile creeks in flood.the longest been stuck on property for is 3 weeks.we get local water first then the colour of water gos from a red to brown i now the moonie water coming through can take a week to get to us.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:54:27 pm »
That's interesting. Would you be able to elaborate on those traps? Do they catch larvae too or just beetles?
Do you find that the DE solidifies with humidity?
Do you put them on the bottom board?
What exactly is the wood glue for?

Still raining. I need to go and cut firewood.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 03:08:49 am »
just take sides out cd case i used chain saw raker file,did a good job.paint the inside case with wood glue then sprinkle the DE over it.or us a brush to put it on,i place the case on bottom board.only been using it for one season no trouble with humidity.reason us the glue is dint wont powder through hive.put the powder on thick then shake of extra.found them to work okay.i got cases at cheap shop.the powder seems work on beetle iv never seen larva in them.it doesn't trap the beetle they go in get powder on there legs it grind es them away.i have picked up plenty beetle shells never see any legs on them. it just starting to shower again her .

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 03:12:48 am »
Hi Westmar,
can you post a photo of your CD case?

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 05:14:49 am »
I found this PDF from the DPI about a similar method. I think the CD cases would work better though.

I don't have any DE at the moment so I'm going to try using ag lime. Still raining here.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:26:03 am »
Thanks for the link, we have HB in the warmer part of Vic near Maryborough. Small infestations in the warmer parts of the state. It survives near here but only minimally after having taken boxes in and out areas where there is a lot of it.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 07:34:42 pm »
good link it would work that way.beendown to check flood pegs you cannot even see them.it not raining at moment.but cloud rolling in heavy

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 10:51:29 pm »
hi Marduk,every one
                              Marduk I'm not to good on computer don't know how to go about it.we could just see top flood peg this morning.but the moonie water just starting to get her so its coming up again.mean while i had a go at queen rearing using the cell punch method.checked this morning and see got five out ten.my first time at it so I'm happy with it.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 05:43:04 am »
Raining here all day, torrential yesterday afternoon, looks like narrow leaf peppermint started flowering yesterday or early today.

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 08:01:41 am »
Hi Mardak,
Sorry to go off topic here, but I had no idea there is hive beetles in Maryborough Vic. I have hives near Castlemaine which is generally slightly warmer than Maryborough. I've not noticed any HB in the hives, but then I haven't been looking for them. Do you know if they have been seen around the Central Victoria area?

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:31:12 am »
I'm wondering with the wet weather and flood we got her if the red gum drop there buds.as tree going to be in water for awhile.has any one noticed this with tree being in water for any length off time.i do no when they are flowering and we get a good down pour the flowers that are open fall of tree.kiss your flow good by,or grate part of it.you bee supprised were the hive beetle are how quick they can spread.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 04:03:27 am »
I knock around some serious yet happy beekeepers, they do it for a living. My dream one day in the future also. SHB has been around these areas for a little while and they reckon it will spread over time closer to the divide. They say it is not a great issue if managed properly. That's where my interest in the friction traps come in. There are lots of contraptions on the market at questionable costs so the cheaper and easier to deal with the better. The physical traps seem to work when there is constant monitoring which defeats the purpose of letting the hive develop and gather the nectar. Constant inspections do very little for any hive.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 04:25:46 am »
What do the commercial beekeepers do to manage the hives properly with regards to beetles?

How do they get around keeping the hive compact but needing to add supers for the flow?
Is it to manage strong hives with large populations of bees? Is this achieved by feeding sugar and pollen before the flow?
I'd love to know. Our hobby size operation was very hands off until the beetles got worse in the last few years.
Rain has finally eased up here, still overcast.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »
yes if any one out there can tell us how the big operators do it be good.well rain Chang is her 7ml so far very windy.river running a banker.

anything