Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WA first year new-bee  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Kerimae

• New Bee
WA first year new-bee
« on: February 06, 2010, 02:22:29 am »
Good evening

I got my first (used) hive from an elderly gentleman last spring (2009), and after putting in a new batch of Italian bees, left me on my own. I had no idea what I was doing.  Thankfully a wonderful mentor has been willing to give me a hands-on education, and I was able to extract some first year honey last fall.  Believe me, I SAVORED every spoonful of that and cannot wait for spring so I can check on my girls again.  They've already had a few flights out this winter on unseasonably warm days.

I've been reading about different hives, top bar, warre, etc. and am planning on keeping the one I have (framed).  Unfortunately, the bottom board is one piece with the brood box (I realize I may be getting some of these vocabulary words wrong), so I am considering buying a (new) different one with a screened bottom this spring.  I may purchase a second hive, also.

I am looking forward to gleaning from all of your experiences.  Thank you for the opportunity to learn.

Keri Mae

Proverbs 24:13   My son, eat thou honey, because it is good; and the honeycomb, which is sweet to thy taste...

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: WA first year new-bee
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »
Hello Keri Mae

You are really brave to have started beekeeping that way. Just jumping in not knowing anything. I hope your mentor will be able to stick with you for a while until you feel comfortable.  

I started beekeeping after taking a couple of classes and reading a few books.  I did have a mentor show me a few things at his hives.

But when it came time to start my hives, well I was on my own. I found this forum just at a time when I felt I was drowning and could not contact anyone to help me. I got all my answers here on the forum and I have been a success with the bees so far due to all the help I get here.

If you have any problems, just post it and you will get answers, many answers.

Good luck and stay in touch
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:48:20 pm »
Oops!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:49:34 pm by annette »

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:10:43 am »
Welcome Keri Mae:
Sounds like you got off to a good start.  With the mild winter we have been having up in the Northwest, the bees should be back to work in no time.  This site is an excellent source of information and I have met some of the nicest fellow beeks on here!  Learn and enjoy.
-Mike
-Mike

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:42:20 am »
Remember you are building your own beekeeping philosophy as you go.  For every question there are multiple answers; you have to pick the ones you are comfortable with and apply them to your own style of beekeeping.  Just like being a painter…. I can tell you what colors to use and recommend some brushes but whatever ends up on the canvas is all you.  And it will be fun!
Welcome
Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com

Offline Kerimae

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 01:29:34 am »
Thank you all for the warm welcome!  I'm sure I'll be leaning on all of you Pacific Northwestern beeks (now there's a new word for me!) quite a bit.  I appreciate the replies; thank you!
Proverbs 24:13   My son, eat thou honey, because it is good; and the honeycomb, which is sweet to thy taste...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »
there are quite a few PNW people on here.  we are from oregon to canada and it is really helpful.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:20:43 pm »
Welcome to the very best hobby in the world! I wish you great sweet sucsses at it this year is looking good for honey. Right now I have blooms coming on and it looks like a early nectar flow. Best wishes.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:30 pm »
Lucky people.. how is it I am closer to the equator than you are and I am still under 2 feet of snow?  :-x   I am a first year myself and I wanted to wish you best of luck this year.  Welcome to the Beemaster forums.

CVB
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 11:22:53 pm »
Keri Mae, welcome to our forum, wonderful that you have found us, stick around.  Have that wonderful day, life, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 11:50:53 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Keri Mae.

There's great advice to be had here and a lot of helpful people.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

anything