Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm 6-11-2010  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Swarm 6-11-2010
« on: June 12, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »
Got a call yesterday of a swarm in a bush. Not sure who the lady is but she new I was into beekeeping so she called my workplace and they called me. The swarm was the size of a volleyball and very very gentle. I dont think Ive ever been around any better bees. even though I wore my suit I didnt have any stings on my gloves and no one was buzzing my head. Shook the bees into a deep hive body, put the lid on, and left it there until night fall. Went back, all bees were inside, and off we went.

Got another call of bees making an open hive on the side of a house. Ill try to take a few photos and post them later today.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
Re: Swarm 6-11-2010
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 05:47:31 pm »
Nice job. You gotta love the free bees. It is great that they called you. I always ask how they got a hold of me, for my own curiosity.
Look forward to the pictures!
Joe S.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:58:49 pm »
Well I just realised I posted this in the worng area, Sorry. Out of the pictures I took only one came out ok. I was trying to hang off a ladder and snap a photo so must were blurry.

In the photo you can see the bees but not the comb. The comb was built all under the bees and attached to the bottom of the actual window. If you look close enough you can see wax going up the center frame support from the window but the bees stopped building there. Once we vacuumed up the bees and took down the comb we saw a hole under the window. Bees were coming and going from the hole but they piled up outside. We vacuumed as much as we could until we had to leave. We were not sure that we got the queen due to the hole in the wall. The bees were added to a very weak hive that was queenless so we'll see what happens.

One more job to go before I can take any more calls for service.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:09:25 pm »
This is a nice picture Shawn. You can just make out the edge of the beautiful white comb. Great job and I hope you managed to get the queen.
Good luck and thanks again for sharing this with us!
Joe
Joe S.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 11:08:15 pm »
Whenever I see bees going into a hole in a structure and great stuff gooped up in the same area, I have to think there were probably bees there once before.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:00:05 am »
Jp, Yes they did tell me they had bees about three years ago in the same spot. She told me they were remodeling and found some old comb but could not figure how they were getting in. I guess now they know where they were getting in at.

One thing that is strange is we were not receiving any calls of swarms until the commercial beek brought in all his hive into the county. The lady from above said a day after he went by her house with a truck and tralier full of hives the bees arrived.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 03:33:09 pm »
Jp, Yes they did tell me they had bees about three years ago in the same spot. She told me they were remodeling and found some old comb but could not figure how they were getting in. I guess now they know where they were getting in at.

One thing that is strange is we were not receiving any calls of swarms until the commercial beek brought in all his hive into the county. The lady from above said a day after he went by her house with a truck and tralier full of hives the bees arrived.

Well, that just means more bees for you!

BTW, great stuff is terrible for sealing exterior gaps. If gaps are larger than 1/4" I use a backing and caulk and seal.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything