Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SC NewBee  (Read 4280 times)

Offline drgenegarris

• New Bee
    • http://honeybees.drgarris.com
SC NewBee
« on: May 10, 2005, 01:14:36 pm »
These forums are amazing.  I lurked for a while and then registered as a new user.

I am from central South Carolina and am setting up my first hive.  I have read numerous books on beekeeping and am so thankful for these forums and the institutional knowlege here.

I plan to be a hobby beekeeper and when I prove, to myself, that this is an enjoyable hobby I will put out 5 or so hives at a farm.  This is what I hope to do.  I very much want to have surplus honey and wax.

I am a chiropractor by trade and I have a small boutique practice.  Many of my cases are chiropractic as a last resort types.  I very much enjoy what I do and my family.  My wife and I were blessed this past September with the birth of our daughter.  Things are getting better all of time.  I think beekeeping will be a positive addition to our lives.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
SC NewBee
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 01:56:27 pm »
I'm sure you've realized by now, after lurking and reading the posts here, that beekeeping is a VERY enjoyable hobby. It's relaxing, fun, and very easy to manage.

Welcome aboard.

Beth

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
Re: SC NewBee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 02:06:10 pm »

I plan to be a hobby beekeeper and when I prove, to myself, that this is an enjoyable hobby I will put out 5 or so hives at a farm.  This is what I hope to do.  I very much want to have surplus honey and wax.

I am a chiropractor by trade and I have a small boutique practice. .

Well it seems there is another member to our Bee Addicted Anonymous Group  :lol:

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
SC NewBee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 06:09:05 pm »
lol, its great to have you aboard and dont be shy :D
Ryan Horn

Offline drgenegarris

• New Bee
    • http://honeybees.drgarris.com
I real NewBee!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:59:46 pm »
Saturday I trekked to Georgia to pick up my hive.  I purchased an existing colony from John Pluta.  I now have the hive set up in a concrete courtyard of our house and the hive is about 2 feet from a sliding glass door.  We are having a a blast watching the hive.

I have inspected it 2x since I placed it and everything looks good.  Day one with the hive I placed a deep super on the hive.  The next day the bees were already drawing out comb on the clear foundation.  There was some burr comb and I scraped it off and shared the waxy goodness with my Dad.  Now, already, we have received some of the benefit of the bees' good work.

The hive is even more fun than I thought it would be.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
SC NewBee
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 04:35:55 pm »
Hi Doc :)

Welcome to the forums, great that you joined and I hope it is an enlightening experience.

I enjoy geocaching myself, although the deer tick problem here really has made it difficult and frightening to do. But then again, here in the Pinelands of New Jersey, we can't even cut the grass without getting a dozen ticks on us - ugh.

I had a unique geocache where I placed small business card sized directions to a VERY tough geocache WHERE you would find an index card sized certificate with an actual soil sample from the Hindenburg Crash site. It was an interest (albeit extremely hard find) the offering was very much worth it.

After having several "finds" where the total cache of Hindenburg Cards were taken, I changed the rules and "in the second cache" you got a special code that when emailed to me, would get you MAILED the certificate.

Even THAT was abused - lol, so I ran out of options and AFTER getting Lymes/Menningitis, I gave up Geocashing for the time being - that was in 2001 and I sadly haven't returned to doing it.

Anyway... I'm thinking about starting up again, placing geocaches around my many RV trips we have planned - it will be interesting to see other RVer/Campers who find the caches using the normal geocache rules and not going with the unique stuff that is really hard to control.

Best wishes in beekeeping, I think it should be right up your alley, my neighbors prior to the current people were both occupational therapists and skilled in raiiki (sic) therapy with training in mind and body methods of healing - they found beekeeping very interesting and we talked often about bee-sting therapy which I did on myself for more than 2 years after taking a very nasty (20 foot) fall to an asphault macadam.

I don't have to tell you how lucky I am to just have fractured an arm in multiple places and cause cronic neck stress issues. My arm healed well, but the neck was not responding as well and apitherapy was a bit painful but successful in treating my pain. We'll talk about that again I'm sure in future posts.

So welcome aboard and I'm really glad you find the forums helpful and fun. It is less than 15 months old and has really grown in last few months, nearly exponentially. Talk again soon :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
SC NewBee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 07:31:44 pm »
John, I just took a course at my church on healing prayer, and raiiki was one of the topics covered. It's interesting to find someone else who even knows what it is! Usually you get "ray what...?" :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson