Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apistan  (Read 20743 times)

Offline deantn

• House Bee
Re: Apistan
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 07:59:29 am »
This was an interesting thread, and I thought that I would bring it back to the forefront, for anyone who wants some interesting "stuff" to read about.

I am on an agenda this spring for testing for hygienic queens.  Don't know if I will be able to completely perform this task, but finding out whether a queen heading her colony has propagated hygienic qualities is a pretty important quality to have.  Beautiful day in this greatest of life.  Cindi

On the same quest here.
Have found an older beekeeper around me that has had bees for about 10 years now, started with bees from NC that were supposed to be mite tolerant or resistant, he has only lost 4 hives so far but the others are doing very good without any "meds" being used. As a matter of fact he ignored them for a few years and only recently started checking them with the help of his grandson.
After talking with him and got his permission to go into his hives and get some brood from them to raise a few queens from when spring arrives.
Hoping queen rearing kit gets ordered and arrives in time for spring.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2008, 11:23:31 am »
Dean.  Good.  You are fortunate to have this nearby, I am sure that these will be good queens that you will be raising.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2008, 11:33:38 am »
How do we know the gene pool is not from breeding with local drones.  The initial queens from 10 years ago may have swarmed ,been superseded or just died. Thay may be all local genes unless you can find marked queens.

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 11:44:37 am »
How do we know the gene pool is not from breeding with local drones.  The initial queens from 10 years ago may have swarmed ,been superseded or just died. Thay may be all local genes unless you can find marked queens.

Know that after this long original queens are gone. Just looking to raise some queens from his stock as they seem to be resistant to mites, oth kinds, and able to make it without any meds being put in the hives.
That is why I'm going to raise a few queens from his hives and then requeen my hives with them. Of course they will be mated with my drones or my neighbors, really close neighbors.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2008, 11:48:00 am »
Maybe you could talk him into doing a split and let his bees start some queen cells with his stock and get those cells.

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2008, 01:38:16 pm »
Good idea, might try that.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2008, 11:08:39 pm »
Try small cell you'll feel better and so will the bees.Chemicals make Bees weaker and mites get stronger.
Try Natures way small and natural cell
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything