Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Strange Bee occurance  (Read 2219 times)

Offline deten

• New Bee
Strange Bee occurance
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:28:19 pm »
My fiance and I were at the park yesterday eating our lunch, and we had a really strange bee occurance.

I noticed something flying towards us out of the periferals, so I looked and saw a strange looking bee.  It looked like a wasp with a huge abdomen.

As the flying mutant got closer it landed, seperated, and then flew off!

What happened:

A bee was carrying another bee and it landed next to our picnic blanket, dropped off the second bee and flew on alone.

The second bee, the one which was dropped off, seemed underdeveloped.  It was moving a little, and I moved it into the shade to die.  It took about 8 hours then stopped moving.  When I was analyzing the second bee, it had no wings and looked smaller.  It may have been a young bee.

I am just curious if anyone knows what this was about?  I could take a picture if anyone wants one.

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Re: Strange Bee occurance
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:35:02 pm »
Bees take dead or deformed bees out of the hive and many times fly them away from the hive. There is probably a hive near by and the bee that died was probably deformed due to disease or mites and was taken out of the hive. I have seen bees taking dead bees out of hives often, sometimes they dont get far and leave the dead bee right outside the hive other times they take off and I loose sight of them.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:39:45 pm »
Can you tell what kind of bee it was?  Was it actually a wasp or a honey bee?

If it was a honeybee, then what Greg said.  Then there is a honeybee hive somewhere nearby.

Rick
Rick

Offline deten

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:01:37 pm »
Honeybee

Definately

It was deformed, it should have had at least some sort of wing appendage but it was empty

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:25:07 pm »
Since today was warm and sunny (first time in a month), the bees were busy cleaning out the hives.  My hives are located in my backyard and I saw bees "dumping" dead bees in the front yard.  Early spring cleaning I guess.  I hope the deformed bee is not an indication of a problem in the hive.
We love the girls...

Offline deten

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:34:23 am »
Me too dave,

It was one of our "warm" days after a week or two of cold, but I am in california haha so we have alot of warm days.

I am just happy to hear its not unnatural... i may not know where the hive is, but im glad their doing okay!

anything