Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to the forum, New to Bees  (Read 3722 times)

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
New to the forum, New to Bees
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:34:11 pm »
I made the decision to get into bees late this yr. I have done a lot of reading, I also signed up on a couple of different forums (beesource & OSBA).
My plan for next year is to start with two hives, each with two deep hive bodies and if I need them two western supers each, (10 frame setup) I purchased all my equipment last week at Ruhls bee supply in Oregon, well almost everything, due to a miscount we only got frames for one hive setup so need to buy more.

Originally from England, I now reside on 7 acres in Snohomish county WA, near the town of Granite Falls.
I am also a member of the local bee club, NWBDA

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: New to the forum, New to Bees
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:20:33 pm »
Welcome!  You are not too far from Brian or Winenutguy!  You have time to order more frames before next spring.  This will be my bees 1st winter so we shall see how I did as a beesteward in the spring!  You will love this place, tons of info & goodwill!  Again, welcome!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:33:15 pm »
Hello and Welcome Oldenglish
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:03:47 am »
OldEnglish, welcome to our forum.  This will be a place where you can spend some great time, learning about how to keep bees.  Being on acreage, you will have lots of areas to watch your bees, spend time with them, get to know their antics, and these you will love to watch.  Ask your questions, here you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love to listen.  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:28:02 pm »
Good to see you here Oldenglish.                  Irwin
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »
Welcome!  You are not too far from Brian or Winenutguy!  You have time to order more frames before next spring.  This will be my bees 1st winter so we shall see how I did as a beesteward in the spring!  You will love this place, tons of info & goodwill!  Again, welcome!  J

I assume you'll be obtaining your initial equipment from Beez Neez in Snohomish.  You can order your packages now for next spring if you like, they usually start taking orders after Halloween for the coming spring.  Choose your hive equipment carefully, don't buy the starter package because it has a lot of things a 1st yearer doesn't need.  You can save a bit by buying more quantity of what you do need. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 12:46:42 pm »
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
I already had the Bush farms links, along with about 30 others, I enjoyed the site and got a lot of useful information out of it.
For any of you who may be interested, I just created a blog and am going to document my bee keeping adventure, feel free to check it out, address is in my sig.

As I mentioned in my blog I did not purchase enough frames, I have plenty of time to get more but I am intrigued by the idea of foundationless frames.

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:51:56 pm »
Welcome to the forum this is a great place to gain knowledge and make new friends

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:07:17 pm »
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
I already had the Bush farms links, along with about 30 others, I enjoyed the site and got a lot of useful information out of it.
For any of you who may be interested, I just created a blog and am going to document my bee keeping adventure, feel free to check it out, address is in my sig.

As I mentioned in my blog I did not purchase enough frames, I have plenty of time to get more but I am intrigued by the idea of foundationless frames.

Give me a PM, I'll give you the same tour I gave Winenutguy, I think he'd say it was worth the trip.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 10:55:11 am »
Oldenglish.  Take Brian up on his offer, he has some very cool stuff going on at his place, you would for surely love the visit.  Have a most wonderfully fantastic day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 12:55:21 pm »
I took Brian up on his offer and will be visiting him this sunday.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 10:04:43 am »
OldEnglish.  Good.  You will enjoy Brian's company immensely, I sure did when we went for our bee bbq there.  You will enjoy things that he shows you too!!!  Yeah!!  Have a most wonderful day and life, Cindi

anything