Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are hive pest nocturnal? If so....  (Read 5053 times)

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
    • Orlando Bee Removal Expert
Are hive pest nocturnal? If so....
« on: September 17, 2010, 12:27:26 pm »
Are hive pest nocturnal? For instance if SHB mostly works at night, would some sort of net or catch device be effective?
What about other pests? Does the fact that the bees don't fly at night give any at vantages over controlling pests?
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Are hive pest nocturnal? If so....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:45:00 pm »
They have an external SHB trap out there that uses pvc pipe and pollen patties as bait.  

http://ento.psu.edu/directory/duv2/arbogast_et_al_2007.pdf

As for beetles working at night?  I do not know on this one.   I know they will fly off during the day if you don't smash them fast enough.
The wax both, greater and lesser,  are moths, so they are night fliers.  More bees in the hive at night should help keeping the moths out.

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:36:59 pm »
It just seems that since our girls don't fly at night, we could take advantage of this. Sticky boards, nets, something that could trap or catch these little critters as they are moving about at night.
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:07 pm »
You might go through the expense of hooking up a photocell control to close off your hive after dark with a screen or net, but I don't think that would be too economical.  Trap them in the hive and poison  them in the ground seems to help out.  I have also read about people using hive covers that let in a little sun light to run the beetles out.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:53 pm »
When Joey gets a little old I'll have Ian train him in the fine art of SHBminator!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:25:23 am »
Nice! I knew there was a good idea out there.
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:40 pm »
The moths and SHB start flying INTO hives just before dark and then after of course.  I use screen tops.  So I can go out the next morning, pull off my top cover and smash both of these vermin with the tool of my choice.  They are usually on the underside of the top cover since the bees can poke at them through the screen.   So top screens are a great IPM device.  I do not have as many SHB with this method.  OH, the top is tilted up so the moths can climb under and on top of the screen.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:04:21 am »
The moths and SHB start flying INTO hives just before dark and then after of course.  I use screen tops.  So I can go out the next morning, pull off my top cover and smash both of these vermin with the tool of my choice.  They are usually on the underside of the top cover since the bees can poke at them through the screen.   So top screens are a great IPM device.  I do not have as many SHB with this method.  OH, the top is tilted up so the moths can climb under and on top of the screen.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you show a pic?
Thanks
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:56:51 am »
On a cool evening, especially in the north, you can go out a few minutes after dark with a flashlight and you will be surprised at the number of moths that are on the outside of the hive. They will wait foe the guard bees to pull back and will walk right in.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »
I really think someone could make something that works on a sensor which will cover the enterance somehow to keep the little buggers out.
I'm picturing something that would attach to the front of the hive body at the top of the 1st deep, or even rest on the 1st deep under the cover or next body. Then a net type of material that opens like a bimini top opens or a baby stroller cover opens. This way the bees hanging off the front porch on hot nights won't be effected.

Does this make any sense or just a silly idea? I just can't stand SHB, not that I have a problem yet.... Still kill every one I see!
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »
A screen top is just four 3/4 x 3/4 pieces of wood the size of the box, nailed together and then covered with window screen.  So it's kinda like a top cover but not solid--screened.  It increases ventilation down here, like last week when it was 96 degrees with 75% humidity.  I actually lost a trapout hive last week because it DID NOT have a screend top and they overheated.  I had them closed up after a move.  I keep my telescoping tops ajar in summer due to the heat, but I don't want robbers and pests getting in.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:30:46 am »
a screen top is just four 3/4 x 3/4 pieces of wood the size of the box, nailed together and then covered with window screen.  So it's kinda like a top cover but not solid--screened.  It increases ventilation down here, like last week when it was 96 degrees with 75% humidity.  I actually lost a trapout hive last week because it DID NOT have a screend top and they overheated.  I had them closed up after a move.  I keep my telescoping tops ajar in summer due to the heat, but I don't want robbers and pests getting in.

Got it. Thanks
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

anything