Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Suit Help!  (Read 5521 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Bee Suit Help!
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:37:36 am »
Would like some advice on suit purchase. I do removals a little bit and which is a bit abusive on a suit. Bought a couple so far for about 70$ each and they are falling apart already. Just do not want to throw good money for bad. Not impressed with some I see on the main supplier's sites and hope someone can help guide next purchase. Thanks in advance.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Re: Bee Suit Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:53:07 am »
http://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/
I have full suit, will also get a jacket before next season
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 11:32:25 am »
I have a couple of suits that I bought a few years back. I don't find the need for anything more than a jacket when doing a removal most times. Normally, some smoke and the beevac takes the naughty out of them. One thing that I found, don't buy one that keeps your head from entering tight working spaces. The hat veil combo with the wide brim. Just watch some of JP's bee removal video's. http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/itemdisplay.asp?itemid=3570

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:51:55 pm »
+1 on the ultra breeze going on my 3 third year still in love with it. I still get hot. Hang it up when wet or it can smell worst than a gym locker. Mine get thrown over the back seat a lot. I Have a jacket. A couple of times I wish I had a suit but for most time the jacket is fine
I have been thinking of getting a cheap suit for bad cut outs But it still be of this type
David
My-smokepole

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:36:07 am »
I would also recommend the ultra-breeze suit.

It is the first suit that I haven't been stung through. *knock on wood*

Plus, if there is a breeze, you get to really appreciate it on those hot days.

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:47:24 am »
All I have heard about the ultra-breeze has been good, got one on the way for 2013,  I purchased a Dadant suit about this time last year that began falling apart within a month, (tears in screening @ seams), I contacted the company and they failed to stand behind their product, needless to say they have lost a customer and I will tell any who ask about my poor experience with their company.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:10:15 am »
I have several ultra breeze jackets, an ultrabreeze suit, and a Golden Bee Products suit.  I love all of them.  For a serious cutout on a hot day I'd wear the suit.  For most work, I use the jacket.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:50:38 am »
The ultrabreeze does look like the one I will definitely consider. JP recommends a light weight one from someone he helped in design I believe and waiting for his reply. Cost is about the same as an ultrabreeze. Cutouts are abusive on the suit I have and may do as M Bush and get a jacket for the yard. Thanks for the replies.
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:40 am »
Blanc, I gave some input on the Golden Bee jacket with veil http://www.goldenbeeproducts.com. Unless you are dealing with an extremely, extremely aggressive hive, a jacket and veil is all anyone needs on just about any removal.

..JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 04:12:32 pm »
I have a Dadant full suit, had it for two years, no problems yet.  When it gets nasty, I will spray it with some bleach and water, then wash it and hang it up.  Wife also made me a jacket sort of.  She took and old sweat shirt and some netting form a piece of tent netting with zipper, so I can put on glasses and cap.  The bees I have now have a better attitude than they use to.  Good luck with which ever you choose.

Joe

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 05:51:54 pm »
Well to update on the bee suit I went to JP's site and realized GoldenBee was 30 minutes from the house and went try on the suit and liked it enough to take one home and will get me a jacket with my next cutout money. Thanks JP and everyone for your replies.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 08:50:15 pm »
blanc, the hood makes it easy to stick your head in the hole for a look.
 :th_thumbsupup: :th_thumbsupup:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:20:48 pm by tefer2 »

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 10:10:02 pm »
I also have a Golden Bee suit and I really like it.  I am very short and a bit "broad" around the beam.  Susie took my measurements and made a suit that fits me perfectly.   I never had a bee sting me through the suit.  It is tight around the wrists and ankles and the velcro works well to keep everything tight and bee proof. It does seem to be cooler than the other suits I have used.  So, I think you will be happy with your purchase.  I know I have never regretted spending the money .

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 03:35:43 am »
I buy mine through Blue Sky Bee Company, it is called a bee master, or master bee suit.  You have to buy the domed zippered hood separate though. I have had two of them and they seem to take the abuse well.  I do removals also, and they have stood up to most bee attacks. It does get kind of hot, but I live in Hawaii, so that is a given.

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 04:17:47 pm »
I bought a Dadant suit 5 years ago and is still in very good shape, mainly because I very seldom wear it . I use a misquito type  pull over and nitrile (blue ) gloves or nothing.  Of course I don't work with killer bees either. Have 7 hives and did 6 trap-outs last season. Looking to doo more this season. Also will be 78 when season gets here .. Good hunting  JPP.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 10:19:27 am »
I'm new but I bought my suit for $59 from Pestmall

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Moots

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
+1 for the Golden Bee Suit....Very Satisfied so far!  :)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 11:50:05 am »
Don't know if this will help but I bought mine here.  I liked it. It is Ventilated and the price is about the best I have found for this type.

They are located here in Georgia.

http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com/Category/1-22636-ventilated-bee-wear.aspx

Hope this helps.

Good luck
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 03:00:47 pm »
i just use this.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/page111.html

don't need ventilation where i live.  i'm more likely to need insulation  :-D

these usually last me at least a couple of years.  the one i am using now i have had for 4 years and done removals, swarms, etc.  don't need a suit.  jeans and boots are good enough IF i remember to tuck my shirt in when i am getting high swarms. 

depends on your budget.....lots of choices.

i did try JPs jacket a couple of years ago and it's nice.  especially in hot weather.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bossqwjw

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 03:46:54 pm »
I got mine from pigeon mtn also! Its a great ventilated suit and so far it has been sting proof. Good price too
(except for the one time my hood rode back and touched my forehead. As soon as it did a bee came from nowhere and zap.)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 04:04:39 pm »
To: bossqwjw

Thats why, even though I think it looks goofy, I chose the round veil with the hat instead of the, I think its called a fencing hood.

I liked the added safety of distance of my face to the veil.  :)

I guess just call me CHICKEN.  LOL
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Greg

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 09:26:38 pm »
I have one of Susie's Golden Bee Jackets and it works great. No stings with it yet either.

Tip: when it's really hot wet it, wring it out and wear it. You will be much cooler that way

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 11:14:18 am »
I've got the Pigeon Mtn. vented suit as well.  The only stings I;ve gotten were not closing up the legs at the bottom on a quick check and one flew up the leg :shock:.

Another was when I had the hood down and got nailed on the ear.  Certainly not the suits fault.  Getting ready to order 3 jackets.  One for my 11 yr old, one for me and one for my dad.

Offline jpmeir

• New Bee
  • Yesterday was the only easy day
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 09:18:58 pm »
I'm in central texas where the bees can be protetive on a clam day but I have found as long as I had something heavy under a bee jacket I've never been sting (yes it's hot)   :)