Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How cold is too cold for removals??  (Read 10867 times)

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
Re: How cold is too cold for removals??
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 12:01:53 am »
did another one on sat 08/09/08 and am going to look at one on friday 08/15/08 feed feed feed

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 01:19:43 am »
 I have a swarm to remove, in the morning. I hate to take one this late in the season but.... I have a nuc that is behind on numbers so if they are still there, I will combind them and hope for the best. Yes, feed, feed , feed. If I want the nuc to make it past Winter, I will have to feed it. What is a few more mouths to feed?? Asters are blooming like crazy and Goldenrod is starting to come around. Maybe it will work out.                                     Good Luck,
                                                   Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 11:05:50 am »
If the people want them gone and would kill them if they weren't removed other wise then its removal time, wouldn't you say? Then its feed time. We don't have much of a winter down here though anyway.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 08:23:19 am »
yellow jackets

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 05:05:53 pm »
I did one last week, as well. Kind of darned if you do darned if you don't. I hope that they make it as well. They had 6 frames of brood and 4 frames of honey. They were a little black bee with an attitude. Looked like a Russian but a little different. Yes, I hope that the Goldenrod flow is a big one. I have several nucs that need it.  If not, look out Sams Club and the sugar isle.
                                                 Good Luck,
                                                  Marc

Soldi black as in Black German or blackish with gray stripes as in Causcasian?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 12:55:52 pm »
 Brian,
 They are more solid black than striped with gray and are very hot. Of course I would be too, if  someone was trying to force me into a house that I did not live in. They are smaller than most of the bees that are in my yards but dynamite comes in small packages too!!!!
                                          Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 02:55:24 am »
Brian,
 They are more solid black than striped with gray and are very hot. Of course I would be too, if  someone was trying to force me into a house that I did not live in. They are smaller than most of the bees that are in my yards but dynamite comes in small packages too!!!!
                                          Marc

My greatgrandfather had black german bees, my father hated them so bad because they were so always so hot and hard to work, didn't build up well due to agressiveness, that he hived a large Italian swarm into the black german hive.  Lots of dead bees but the remaining italians lived to thrive.  His grandfather, though, was mad as a wet hen as he had brought that particular hive out to Olympia from Pennsylvania when he moved west is the early 1900s.  Small, black, and hot is the perfect description of black german bees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!