Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how much sugar  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
how much sugar
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:49:58 am »
i have 5 packages of italians coming in 3 days. how much sugar should i buy? and what kind or brand you think?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: how much sugar
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:55:01 am »
You're a beekeeper now.  You can never have too much sugar.  :)  The cheap brand.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:34:11 am »
I assume 40lbs per package for the year.  And hopefully that will be all if you leave enough honey each winter.  This year I bought all my sugar at once since prices were/are rising.  I bought the Walmart store brand 25 lb bags even though that size costs a few cents more than the 5 pound bag for the same amount of sugar.  The larger bags are easier to use and there is less waste than messing with small bags.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:38:31 am »
But once you have some drawn comb on hand, next year it wont require as much syrup to get them jump started in the Spring. It seemed like I was constantly buying sugar last year. This year, I have used a fraction of what I bought last year.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:57:11 pm by VolunteerK9 »

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:01:01 pm »
But once you have some draen comb on hand, next year it wont require as much syrup to get them jump started in the Spring. It seemed like I was constantly buying sugar last year. This year, I have used a fraction of what I bought last year.

I won't be using any sugar on hives over-wintered from last year.  They all took off just fine by themselves.  I did leave them with lots of honey.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »
i bought a thousand pounds of it bulk this year in 55 gallon drums  Its amazing how fast the sugar goes when the bees need it

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:57:29 pm »
holy s....
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:04 pm »
The cheaper, the better.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »
i bought a thousand pounds of it bulk this year in 55 gallon drums  Its amazing how fast the sugar goes when the bees need it
Warrior,
I'm guessing that would only be 2 or 3  55 gallon drums.  Do you move them with a forklift?  Where did you buy sugar in drums?  Thanks.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:10:39 pm »
Its 4 drums you can buy them from any place that makes candy like Hersheys chocolate in pa :) lucky me living in pa lol. Yes sugar is cheaper in bulk.  Ill be honest to fill up to full deeps and then get drawn comb in a super or two for liquid honey it takes alot of sugar to do this.  Once you start mixing the sugar 50 lbs doesnt go very far once you add the water to it and start pouring it into the hives .  I have a construction business for the last 12 years so i have a backhoe handy to assist with the lifting lol  If you think about it though its only 300 lbs a barrel x 4 is 1200 lbs  you  have to be strong and fit to manuever them around.  I just think that with the bees having so many problems its the least i can do to help them with getting established and having stores for the winter.  Enjoy !!!!!!

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:49:39 am »
Hersheys chocolate lol.... i have one of these 5 miles up the road...ummmm

i got 70lbs today for 40 bucks
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.