Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone use these?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Anyone use these?
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:36:23 am »
Has anyone ever played around with these before?

http://www.geekalerts.com/usb-hygrometer-and-thermometer/

They are supposed to gather temperature and humidity readings in intervals that you can set anywhere from 1 second to 12 hours, and puts all the data into a nice spreadsheet for you?  I think it only works when connected to a USB port.  But I think it would be interresting to have one inside a hive, one outside a hive, and maybe an additional webcam or something to see what's going on.  I think something could be learned from it.  I don't know what could be learned from it, but maybe that's the point is to learn something I didn't know before, or even know I could find out.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Anyone use these?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:36:47 am »
Neat.

I've not used them,  but I have used iButtons.   I would assume they work similarly and have a built in capacitor to provide power so that data logging can happen while not plugged in.   You should only need to have them plugged in to retrieve the data.  What I struggled with was where to take the reading, especially in winter when the cluster moves.  So I have now been using 1-wire devices since they are economical enough to put multiple in a hive and do multiple hives.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,11721.msg78800.html#msg78800

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13576.msg96912.html#msg96912
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:53:17 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:15:18 am »
Oh, now that is COOL!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 03:22:36 pm »
Hey Sarge!
 Good seeing you again!
 Ive never seen one of these deals you showed, but, I do have something else really cool to put into a hive!
I bought one of those hearing things from walmart( like an old hearing aid kinda)...I walked around listening to stuff...then went outside to listen....It worked, but I could here the scratching of the pick-up in my pocket, and I could then hear too much wind....So, I decided to see if I could hear my bees, which I could!....But, better yet, I could hear better if I didnt move the microphone part.....so,.....I stuck the microphone (The pick-up) Into the entrance of the hive!!!!
 WOW!!!! It was awesome!!!...especially when the bees landed and took off right next to the microphone!
 Anyways, I just thought I'd throw that in there...Oh yeh,.....What I need to figure out is how to make the thing record the sounds so I could put them in here!

your friend,
john

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 05:20:28 pm »
Hey Sarge!
 Good seeing you again!
 Ive never seen one of these deals you showed, but, I do have something else really cool to put into a hive!
I bought one of those hearing things from walmart( like an old hearing aid kinda)...I walked around listening to stuff...then went outside to listen....It worked, but I could here the scratching of the pick-up in my pocket, and I could then hear too much wind....So, I decided to see if I could hear my bees, which I could!....But, better yet, I could hear better if I didnt move the microphone part.....so,.....I stuck the microphone (The pick-up) Into the entrance of the hive!!!!
 WOW!!!! It was awesome!!!...especially when the bees landed and took off right next to the microphone!
 Anyways, I just thought I'd throw that in there...Oh yeh,.....What I need to figure out is how to make the thing record the sounds so I could put them in here!

your friend,
john

John,
  Go to Best Buy pick up a digital recorder for about $50 bucks... it will record the sounds into your choice of digital format straight to your computer.  You can plug in external mic or just set on landing board.  pickup is very sensative and should give you what you are looking for.

Mike
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:54:42 am »
Now that sure is a lot different looking piece of equipment than the Hygrometer/Thermometers I use in my Chicken Egg Incubator.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything