Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Catfish  (Read 9390 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Catfish
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:01:30 pm »
Impressive,where does he catch fish like that?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:07:11 pm »
That must make some fishfry. :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:21:13 am »
Now that is a pretty big fish.  I thought that catfish were bottomfeeders and that they didn't taste so good.  Not that I know anything about fish.

The Asian influence in our area love to fish for the catfish and bullhead in the swamps on the side of the road.    They live in murky mucky deep ditches.  The catfish indigenous to this area are not very big, like the ones in the pictures.  I could not imagine eating one, I think that they would taste horrible, like eating dirt (I know what that tastes like, by the way, had a few mouthfuls over my years).    But they fish and fish and fish, see them doing that frequently.  Oh well, I'm sure your catfish are pretty yummy.  I have nothing to compare to.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:24:43 am »
Nice fish looks like he is a hand grabber fisherman nice real nice

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 07:18:49 am »
>Impressive,where does he catch fish like that?

Like he would tell anyone...

>Now that is a pretty big fish.  I thought that catfish were bottomfeeders and that they didn't taste so good.  Not that I know anything about fish.

Bullheads, yes.  Blue catfish?  No.  Flatheads that size?  no.  But he releases them.  He wants to catch them again.

>I think that they would taste horrible, like eating dirt

Hard to find anything that tastes better than catfish...

>looks like he is a hand grabber fisherman

That would be noodling, and he's not.  He catches them on a pole with a hook and a line.  But how do you hold them up without injuring their gills?

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:49:56 pm »
Wow, Michael, those fish are huge!  Much larger than the catfish we have around here!  Do they freeze well?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »
>Do they freeze well?

The ones that big, he wants to catch again, so he puts them back.  :)  The smaller ones do freeze well and are quite tasty.
-------------------

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:56:10 pm »
Good Godfrey Michael I've never seen fish like that before what does hi catch them with Dynamite
kir-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:50 am »
>what does hi catch them with

Bait. :)
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 09:34:25 am »
Fishing for fun would have to be one of my dreams of summertime for sure.  I picture sitting in a tiny little rowboat or on the bank of one of our small streams with a pole and hook in hand.  Watching, listening to nature sounds.  That would be the supreme place of quiet and peacefulness.  I would love to take all the young kids around here out this summer doing that very thing.  We could even walk to fishing spots if we decided to head out on a picnic.  We do lots of picnics in summer, that is fun.  The food consists of nothing more than a sandwhich each, some fruit, little snacks and water for drink,  Simple, but the picnic basket is a basket of mystery and the kids love to open it up and see what we've got.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 03:30:16 am »
>what does hi catch them with

Bait. :)

I would think dogs, cats and small children!

We have catfish here, as does the rest of the world, but never seen em that size. Those are the size of the Vietnamese catfish aka "basa" that is popular nowadays.

catch and release, good man. They ar ethe breeding stock, fish of that size. Is he interested in tagging them? Its pretty easy to make your own tags, if the local fisheries and wildlife people dont supply them.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 11:27:36 pm »
Unbelieveable fantastic
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 08:00:59 am »
>Is he interested in tagging them? Its pretty easy to make your own tags, if the local fisheries and wildlife people dont supply them.

I don't think he ever considered it.  That's a dandy idea.  I will suggest it.
-------------------

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 05:22:42 pm »
Catfishing now thats what me and my dad did in oklahoma. Not fun when we go to the rivers and swim them and get cought in quicksand  that is not fun at all but we got some big fish. We live in ar now and we are by the white river and there is a place calld jo jos catfish now thats the best eating ever.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 01:36:44 am »
Beeginner.  Quicksand, sounds like something that I have seen in so many movies.  Terrifying stuff.  Have a wonderful day, good health to all.  Cindi

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 11:56:01 pm »
Its not as bad as the movies put it. Its not like you walk right in it and your up to your chest in sand. What will happen you be walking a long  and then you hit a soft spot but by the time you try and get out its hafe way up your leg. The more you try and get out the worse it gets the deeper you go the best way to get out of it. Is to work on one leg and get it on top of the sand then try and drag your self out of it and just drag and drag your self for a wile to make shure your clear of it. But when you get out of it you will be tired. lol Trust me Ive found out befor lol dont ever wanna do that any more lol.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 09:37:32 am »
Beeginner.  It still sounds scary to me, I got my leg stuck in some deep mud at the back of property last winter.  I could not get my leg out for a couple of minutes.  I just couldn't do it.  It rather scared me because I was out there alone.  Of course I would not have sunk over my head, but the fact that I was so deeply stuck really gave me the willies.  I think it was just mostly scary because I was not in control.  Hve a wonderful day, great day, good health. Cindi

anything