Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall Feeding  (Read 1686 times)

Offline kemptville

• New Bee
Fall Feeding
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:03:25 pm »
I started Fall Feeding my two hives using 1.9L inverted Mason Jars. I installed them both on the hives this past Monday and when I took a look at them this afternoon, the bees had already consumed half the 2:1 syrup. Does this mean there is a dearth in my area and why the bees are taking so much feed in so little time?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Fall Feeding
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:15:54 pm »
I think the best way to tell if a hive needs fall feeding or if there is a dearth is to pop the top and pull a couple of frames.  If they’re light and low on stores, then they can use more food.  We’ve got a strong goldenrod flow on here right now so no need to feed here.  Keep in mind the bees are also brooding winter bees about now, so you don’t really want them to backfill the brood area too much yet.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would feel your bees just got a boost with the syrup you feed them, now I would just let them forage the golden rod until mid/late September at this point.  Feed some more next month; unless they are completely bare of stores

Offline kemptville

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:05 am »
Thanks BlueBee. Goldenrod is also in full bloom out this way but the rain is lacking. I'm running double deeps and both bottoms (now tops) were pretty light which is why I started feeding this week. I'll give them a break after this feeding so that can as you say forage the goldenrod and asters. Cheers

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:50:06 am »
Placing the bottoms on top, just means if they do not fill them, that a huge void area free from stores, will cause disaster in the winter. And any benefits from trapped heat is lost. Bees starving usually eat their way to the top where the can conserve energy by being up against the inner cover. this location also makes it easier for feeding.

But having a deep box on top with empty comb, works against all this. I would of left the comb where it was, and fed them. the bees would then put it where they wanted, etc.

Bees naturally back fill from the top down. They will fill as the flow dictates. And if they only fill have way down the brood chamber, then that is OK. They will eat up through what they have.

And for those in my area, if you have light hives in the beginning of September, you will probably have light hives at the end of September. Do not think they will pack in 50-60 pounds of honey from goldenrod or aster. If they are light, feed them now! They have lots of brood to raise in the next several weeks, and much of what will be collected in the field will be used for brood rearing.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline kemptville

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:30:43 am »
Should I reverse them again which will put the lighter deeps in the bottom?

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:08:04 pm »
I think the best way to tell if a hive needs fall feeding or if there is a dearth is to pop the top and pull a couple of frames.  If they’re light and low on stores, then they can use more food. 

If light we just put 250gm of fondant on ... it lasts our  bees about  a week  in the spring expansion and two to four weeks in winter
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

anything