Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: forage  (Read 1057 times)

Offline colbees

• House Bee
forage
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:24:14 pm »
how long will it take until my bees start to forage i put them in three days ago and they have been kind of dormant, it is cold though. How far will bees fly for flowers
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay; A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon; A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: forage
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:41:11 pm »
Package or swarm?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:05:37 pm »
I assume you are having the same cold weather we are.  My bees have flown very little this week.    To answer your question, they will start flying the next day if the weather is nice.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline GeezzzBeezzz

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »
Same thing happened to my bees. Today was slightly warmer (50 degrees), low winds and they were out in force for a couple of hours.
As soon as the temps dropped a bit they were back to staying in the hive.
We have been having highs in the low fifties and lows in the upper thirties and low forties with fairly strong winds.
Is it true that bees will stay in the hive when the temps are below fifty?
It seems like that is the magic number for my bees. Seems true on windy days too.
Tart words make no friends; a spoonful or honey will catch more flies than a gallon of vinegar.
~ Benjamin Franklin