Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greenish "Halo" on honey?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Greenish "Halo" on honey?
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:55:25 pm »
This past weekend my husband and I got together with about 60 friends for a BBQ gathering.  Most people coming to the event had never had fresh, local honey (and had never been around hives at all), so I decided to do a "Honey Tasting".   I showed my 'girls' to anyone curious, which was fun.  I had my spring honey, and my fall honey, some downtown Miami 'city' honey I got from a Beek friend, and I also went to a local Nursery, which sells local honey from a Beek I know that is from about 5 miles from our home.  At the nursery, the honey is kept in a 5 gallon bucket, and poured into jars to order.  I didn't really look at the honey closely until I got home, but there were dark (brown/black) tiny specks in the purchased honey, it was quite cloudy, and for lack of a better way to explain it, the honey had a greenish "halo" around the top edge.  Obviously it hadn't been filtered properly, so I filtered it through my finest chinois, and got the bulk of the particulate out, but what's the deal with the 'halo'??   It was odd enough looking I was almost afraid to serve it.  Ideas anyone?  I know he uses an extractor.  Thanks!!

PS...I saw the post recently about how much people get for their honey.  I can tell you at this nursery, I seriously almost CHOKED!  $ 14.99 for a pound jar!!!   :shock:  If I had seen the honey before the clerk drew it, I would not have purchased it! 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Greenish "Halo" on honey?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »
I'd bet the greenish "halo" is a signature of Brazilian pepper honey. Although I like the stuff we harvest up here the bp honey I've tried from other parts of the state had a bitter after taste. When we sell it to the packers we can only get bakery grade prices for it.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:43:22 pm »
Scott:  I thought of that, and absolutely agree.  Still thought the 'green' was weird.  And there is DEFinately BP influence in his honey...I noted the distinct bitterness of BP in the honey.   When I was doing a cut out here, I made the HUGE mistake of licking BP nectar (almost fluorescent yellow) ... I will never, ever forget that taste.   :-X   (I watched one of JP's vids where he pointed out the BP nectar, so I figured why not?  (All I can say is NOT again! Blech!)   Thanks for your thoughts! 

On another note, are there any significant gatherings of FL Beeks?  Where/When?  Thanks again!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »
BTW, that was probably one of my videos...I don't think JP gets BP up there (correct me if I'm wrong Bro).

You just missed the State beekeepers annual meeting in Tampa. Contact Brendan (understudy on here) for the next event for the Palm Beach Organic Beekeepers event, or you can always keep in touch with me about our annual "Honey Harvest Festival" that we (Alysian Apiaries) host up here every year in Sept. We missed this year due to our home fire last year but will bring it back next year.

Are you going to your local club meetings?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:47:54 pm »
Scott:  I do believe you are absolutely correct about the vid...I spent one entire night watching vids by you and JP when I was preparing for my first cut out...I could be wrong, but I am thinking the BP vid was a cutout you did in Orlando under a shed???   Your wife/girlfriend was there helping I believe.  Like I said, I watched a bunch, and learned a bunch!  :laugh:  You two are my Youtube Beek hero's...  :) 

Yes, please keep me informed about your event!  Do you post info here when it gets closer?  And I sure am sorry to hear you were the victim of a house fire.  I hope you have things back to normal...fires are the worst.  I have not yet started going to the Broward County meetings because they are held on Sunday afternoons.  Maybe I need to put my girls before football and Nascar...  :oops: 

I did find your cell while looking for your Apiary online...Would it be ok to call sometime to introduce myself?  Thanks for all your contributions to this forum, youtube, and more! 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:26:05 am »
Feel free to call anytime.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:05:45 pm »
Palmetto will also have a greenish tent around the edge of the jar when you hold it up to the light. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 02:38:10 pm »
The only BP honey that I actually really enjoyed came from Scott and Peg. The other stuff I tried was too bitter for my liking.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 07:29:51 pm »
Cloudy honey usually indicates the early stages of crystallization.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 08:06:59 pm »
Linden trees give a green shimmering honey when its new with a fresh menthol taste  :-D

Tastes great and sells for 3x the normal price

mvh edward :P

anything