Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Table saw  (Read 7893 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Table saw
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:44:07 pm »
I am not a wood worker at all ..... notta... ziltch! But I would like to build some Coates 5 frame nucs and some Robo castles. I am thinking I will need a table saw for the Rabbet jointsa on the castles. I am sure there is a way around it but as i said zero skills  :-D

I am thinking the best route is a cheap table saw. It will get no other use other than bee box projects. Any suggestions or am i headed in the wrong direction?
John 3:16

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Table saw
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:27:20 pm »
Once you get a table saw those few boxes will not be your last project..........trust me.

Instead of buying a cheap saw, look around on craigs list for a good used saw for the same money as a cheap new saw. I can find old craftsman cast iron tables with extensions for around $100. Just be sure the fence and miter gauge is with it.

But to buy a saw and never use it again, I would ask a friend who has a saw (ask in your bee club), or a local cabinet shop to help you out.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:49:28 pm »
What G3Farms said.  Find a decent quality used saw at or less than the price of a cheap new saw.  I got a 1950s era Delta Milwaukee tilty table and Delta Rockwell 6" jointer combo for $100 on Kijiji.  I now dream up projects to do just so I can use them.  I have a cheap/medium priced Delta saw that is essentially brand new after about five years because it something in the vicinity of misery to work with.

The only thing a cheap saw will ensure is that you will never want to try building anything again.  Get a good saw and, well, let's just say everyone will quickly learn to check your shop first when they are looking for you.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:52:57 pm »
Well guess I was kinda harsh with never use. Hope to may start building some boxes with the look of current prices if I can find a cheaper lumber source. I just don't like home imporvement honey doos and I aint got the talent for it anyway.

The craigslist idea sound great and I do know a now retired woodworker in his 80's. May part with a saw/ Have a friend with a cabinet shop but i imagine with his work load lately he would probablt throw the saw at me  :-D Guess that is a good thing ofr him though.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:07:12 pm »
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:39:30 am »
I recommend that instead of buying a table saw, that you buy a band saw. I like the old Craftsman with the large table. They are a whole lot safer than a table saw if you adjust the Guards right. Don't leave any more blade exposed than you need for the thickness of the wood. Bandsaws are a lot more versatile than table saws.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Simon

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:28:37 am »
You could get away with just a circular saw and a router.  It is reasonably straight forward to make decent rabbets with a router and with the addition of a few homemade jigs for the saw and router, you can do a lot more.  If you recycle a couple of pallets into a cutting table, you can cut down big sheets of ply single handed and accurately with a power saw.  This might work out cheaper than buying a table saw, not to mention a bit easier to store.  Like everyone else has suggested, don't buy cheap and nasty tools, they will let you down and generally burn out at the most inopportune time (refuse to cut straight, make a lot of noise, fall apart....).  I have a Makita router that takes 1/2" bits that I bought second hand years ago and it is up to what ever I can throw at it.  There are a few good brands around that the builders seem to like - Dewalt, Porter Cable, Makita, Bosch maybe.

If you go the power saw (circular saw) route, and then feel the need for a tablesaw, there are some systems around that you can mount your power saw in and use like a table saw (Scheppach, Triton Work Centre).  Certainly no substitute for a good table saw with a cast iron table, but serviceable for most work and you can pack them away when not needed.  A good setup if you have limited space.  With a few scraps of timber and some small machine screws, you could even make yourself a simple "work centre" for a power saw.

You would have trouble making rabbet joints with a band saw, especially if you have limited experience, but you could do it with two cuts on a power saw work centre (or table saw).  You can also do reasonable rabbets with a sliding mitre saw (as long as it has depth of cut adjustment) and they are great for cross cutting boards.  Just a few more ideas to throw in the mix.

Simon

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 12:40:30 am »
Thanks Simon

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »
I use the Port Cable 10 inch 15 amp table saw.
I have a jig that will mount right to the table saw top to cut box joints, I can cut box joints in 8 boards at a time.
I also use it to cut the rabbet joints when I use them.
About the only thing I use my router table for now is cutting a rabbet joint when making inner covers.
I wouldn't take a Purdy for mine.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:22:27 pm »

Aw, after you get whatever, and decide it not hard.  You will bee getting all the above mentioned items as well as nailers and staplers.  I had a few wood working tools when I started Beek, now I have a couple of nailers, staplers, a router, table saw, a new jig saw, a new circular saw, and a couple of band saws, and other stuff.  Good luck and bee carefull

Joe

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 05:40:45 am »
I would buy 2 Craftsman table saws (used). Cast Iron tops and wings. You can find them for $100-$150 on Craigs List. Set one up for dado cuts. Rips and cross cuts on the other. Saves a lot of setup time. Be careful any saw is unforgiving. Ask me how I know. :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 08:14:13 pm »
steve might be a little hard fo you takes a lot to punch a button and then jug a piece o wood into the saw  which is that little half moon piec o metal spinning. just go doit sucker and quit trying to con someone into making yo boxes     on the serious note buddie sho wish you could male it
to bee or not to bee

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 09:32:21 pm »
steve might be a little hard fo you takes a lot to punch a button and then jug a piece o wood into the saw  which is that little half moon piec o metal spinning. just go doit sucker and quit trying to con someone into making yo boxes     on the serious note buddie sho wish you could male it

Let me get an interpreter ..... you know not  :-D

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 12:19:57 pm »
 :lau:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 04:01:37 pm »
I got real tired of making those rabbit joints. The only rabbit I make anymore is for the frames to sit in. Other than that the last few boxes have been butt joints using Titebond 3 waterproof glue and 1 1/2" staples. 2 coats of paint.  Will they last less time than the others? Dont know but since my wood doesnt cost me anything and my only cost is time, staples, and glue.....we'll see. I'm courious myself but it has saved some time and at my age....thats worth more than anything else!

Offline hivebuilder

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 02:00:32 pm »
a good router will make a lock mitre which will have very good strength and a lot less work than finger joints

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 10:00:51 am »
Ray
I just knew I was going to like you
skill saws bite too
guess thats why they call them skill saws
more skill than brains youer ok
jay

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »
If your just building some Coates nucs you don't even need a table saw. I have made quite a few out of plywood  with nothing more than a chalk box and a skill saw. Now with that said a older good quality table saw would be nice to have. Cause once you start making a few boxes you will want to make some more. It is really quite fun once you figure it out.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 12:39:20 pm »
BY all means keep your fingers out of the way. use a push stick

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 03:07:44 pm »
I do a fair bit of wood butchering and when it comes to plywood I use almost exclusively a skil saw. I thought the rabbits and frame rests on a coates nuc were made by  adding a second layer of shorter plywood to make the rabbit.  If not you could simply do that. As I get older I find it is not the cost of the tool but rather where I need to keep it for the 300 days of year I am not using it.
Poor decisions make the best stories.