Welcome, Guest

Poll

As near as possible what was your % of lost hives this winter?  

None
17 (38.6%)
10%
2 (4.5%)
20%
5 (11.4%)
30%
5 (11.4%)
50%
7 (15.9%)
60%
0 (0%)
70%
2 (4.5%)
80%
2 (4.5%)
90%
1 (2.3%)
100%
3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 05, 2010, 10:17:54 pm

Author Topic: What percent of hives did you lose?  (Read 2552 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
What percent of hives did you lose?
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »
I know there is already a poll asking how many hives you lost, but if you have 5 hives and lost 3 it's a lot different than if you have 50 hives and lost 3.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Re: What percent of hives did you lose?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:23:07 am »
None
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:29:30 am »
big old Zero!
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:02:28 am »
6 for 6, lost none.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:23:42 am »
David,

If beekeeper a has 10 hives and treats, and has a loss of 10%, while beekeeper B who does not treat has 10 hives and loses 20%, and both report nothing more than the numbers, what did you really learn?

Myself, I do not treat and do not feed most of my hives. Mother nature, being my best employee, is expected to cull out the weakest colonies for me. She not only takes out the ones not able to cope with mites, but also those that are not good honey collectors, those not programmed to raise fall brood, and those not able program themselves to the full seasons or adjust to the nectar flows.

So, while I may suggest I lost 25% this year of my full size hives, I expect it, and have built my operation that the weakest bees get taken out of the mix. My bees are better for it.

I could, as most people could, baby through a few hives sitting out the back door. I could feed them, treat them, and visit weekly, ensuring that I do not even miss a fall failing queen. And when I report 0% loss.....what does that mean? Is that the same as a guy with 500?

Ironically, this year, it looks like my full size hives and nucs did about the same. The past three years I have had 16, 25, what looks to be about something in the low to mid 20% again this year.

Some yards lost 60% while other lost none at all. So even bees managed by the same beekeeper with the same stock, can be influenced by just the yard location.

I am not crapping on the poll. Just perhaps giving some insight to those new beekeepers who have a habit of comparing their losses to other beekeepers strictly based on a number. Numbers tell little....without the "rest of the story". No use banging your head against the wall thinking you did poorly compared to others, when you really know nothing about the other operations.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

bigbearomaha

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:31:29 am »
Myself, I do not treat and do not feed most of my hives. Mother nature, being my best employee, is expected to cull out the weakest colonies for me. She not only takes out the ones not able to cope with mites, but also those that are not good honey collectors, those not programmed to raise fall brood, and those not able program themselves to the full seasons or adjust to the nectar flows.

So, while I may suggest I lost 25% this year of my full size hives, I expect it, and have built my operation that the weakest bees get taken out of the mix. My bees are better for it.

exactly.

thank you,

Big Bear

Offline enchplant

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:38 am »
I had 2 hives. At the end of winter the queen had died in one hive and so I combined the bees from that hive with another. So I have half as many hives but I didn't loose all the bees.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:04 am »

I am not crapping on the poll. Just perhaps giving some insight to those new beekeepers who have a habit of comparing their losses to other beekeepers strictly based on a number. Numbers tell little....without the "rest of the story". No use banging your head against the wall thinking you did poorly compared to others, when you really know nothing about the other operations.

I agree that a poll like this is not at all "scientific"  It's kind of like if you were at a beek meeting and asked for a show of hands about losses.   Only at least then everyone would probably be from the same area at least.   It does seem to indicate that "among responders" the bulk of losses were below 50%, but that about half of those who took the poll had some losses.   So while not scientific, the moral seems to be to plan on having some losses by having a few extra hives going into winter.  Nothing astounding I know.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:20:34 am »
I lost roughly 14% this past winter, treatment free.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 06:46:07 pm »
Didn't lose any - just have two hives.

Offline RZRBCK BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 07:54:29 pm »
Had 4 lost 1. Treatment free.

Offline AllenF