Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You can use geese to get rid of Pigeed(the thorny kind).  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
You can use geese to get rid of Pigeed(the thorny kind).
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:34:38 pm »
Someone posted wanting to know how to get rid of "pigweed". The pigweed I grew up with was closely related to Lambsquarter, and just as delicious steamed with butter and salt or pepper. Not a tough plant to get rid of really, grew in poor soil well. The kind they were talking about on the board, if I identify the pic right, we call "sticks-in-yer-socks" or "Grass-pers" in our part of Texas. Geese normally strongly prefer grass, or the vegetables in your garden :) But we raised our goslings on it sticks to yer socks(sorry don't know the Latin for it), and several other weeds we really wanted them to have a taste for. In addition to grass, Geese will gobble up many broadleaf weeds, but only when the weeds are very young and tender. They won't help with thistles or the really bitter weeds, unless you till and then turn the geese into the area to devour the roots, which don't seem to be bitter to them.

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
Re: You can use geese to get rid of Pigeed(the thorny kind).
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:00 am »
In spring , as the strawbery patch started to grow , I turned the geese out on them . As the blooms formed took the geese off . Best weeders I ever had .

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: You can use geese to get rid of Pigeed(the thorny kind).
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:10:36 pm »
In spring , as the strawbery patch started to grow , I turned the geese out on them . As the blooms formed took the geese off . Best weeders I ever had .
And they only eat the weeds? Not the plants? I've heard of weeder geese but can't think of why they would differentiate between weeds and plants...
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson