Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Viburnum and bees?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Viburnum and bees?
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:26:37 pm »
I was out walking earlier today and saw a great many bees working on a large hedge of viburnum that is just about to bloom.  Never noticed the bushes before, but I’m glad to see bees on something.  They seemed to be working something on the leaves too.  I wondered if they were my bees but I couldn’t see a flight path.  Then there was another large stand of bushes a hundred yards up the street without a bee on it.

Anyone know about viburnum and bees?

8-)

Offline HIVe+

• Brood
Re: Viburnum and bees?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 07:09:32 pm »
HI HB; getting on to make initial post and was happy to be able to respond to something. I live in WV and have a Viburnum type that blooms in the spring and fall. I haven't noticed any spring activity (late blooming), but when there's little else in Sept, they have worked it.   I read your post hoping for an answer myself. Have a BEE-u-t-full season

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:17:04 pm »
Yeah, they work it...ligustrum too. I don't know if they prefer it or not but I always see bees on it when it blooms.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:19:32 am »
i've pulled multiple supers from a hive that was full of ligustrum honey.  clear as water and sickly sweet.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:50 pm »
Good to hear. There is a tree farm less than a mile, as the bee flies, and their Ligustrom is starting to bloom. Perhaps they'll bring me some. (honey not trees)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:51:50 pm »
They pick up a lot of pollen off a Viburnum hedge in the corner of my property. It's one of the first blooms in my area and the flowers get covered by bees. It's an early warning that the season is getting ready to start.