Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 week old captured swarm with no eggs  (Read 2264 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
2 week old captured swarm with no eggs
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:16:24 am »
I caught a swarm 2 weeks ago.  When I got there about 4 cups of dead bees about 2 foot away from the swarm.  Thinking pesticide I picked up a handful and smelled.  No chemical smell, they were just wet and dead.  The homowner said he'd sprayed them with water the night before he called me not knowing what they were.  Crud, I forgot to ask about that...  Nonetheless, I had a frame of eggs and wet brood in there to anchor the swarm.   By coincidence if the queen was killed they'd let me know by making queen cells out of some of the larva.  Even with all of the dead bees the hive was large and acting like there was a queen.

Fast forward 2 weeks, I checked the 5-frame nuc yesterday and they appeared (sound and actions) that they have a queen in there but there are no eggs.  All the wet larva are now capped and there are no queen cells (fresh or torn down).  I stole a frame of eggs from another swarm that's going gangbusters to give them something to do in case the queen is gone or hasn't started laying yet.

If the queen from this swarm was a virgin shouldn't she be laying by now?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: 2 week old captured swarm with no eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:09:27 pm »
I have waited more than 2 weeks to get eggs from a virgin queen.  This would especially be true if you have had cold, wet weather that would keep her from making a mating flight.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:21:21 pm »
If the queen from this swarm was a virgin shouldn't she be laying by now?

It will take about 3-4 weeks if you got a virgin queen in the swarm.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline RandyMM

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:23:05 pm »
It may be taking time for her to get mated? If she is there? Giving them frames of eggs won't hurt, if you have the extra frames. But it sounds like she's a virgin queen who hasn't mated yet? Let us know how it works out. -Randy

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:03:31 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  Considering how warm it's been prior, things have gotten cooler and the weather has been relatively windy and now wet.  I figured she's in there from their disposition and the fact there were no ES cells made  I looked over the frames quickly but did not see her.  I hadn't had a swarm take this long before that did have a queen so I was second guessing myself.  I'll check her again this weekend.  Hopfully there will be ES cells on the brood and egg frame I just put in there or there will be fresh eggs.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:51:09 pm »
have you been feeding them?  i think the queen is sometimes slowed by lack of resources.  i have had virgins mate and start laying in a week, and have had them take over 2.  also have lost them to swallows :-(.  give them another week and some food.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »
I did feed them a quart but stopped after that.  They took it slowly so I figured there was enough elsewhere that made the syrup less that appealing.  When I inspected them they had a good amount of uncapped "honey" in there.

anything