Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apiguard killing brood!  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
Apiguard killing brood!
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:14:24 am »
Good morning all:

I have been treating my hive with Apiguard because of a Veroa infestation problem.  So I purchased a box
of Apiguard from betterbees and placed an Apiguard dish in the hive.  Veroa mytes were dropping and dying in great numbers.  However, I have lately noticed an increase in the amount of dead larvae and pupae on the bottom board.  How many dead brood? Like 4 to 10 a day! The bees are dragging them out and leaving them in front of the hive.

Is this normal?  On the one hand I need to bring the level of Veroa infestation in the hive to a manageable level before winter, yet I am surprised with the side effect.

Thank you for your feedback in advance.
-Rodni

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Apiguard killing brood!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:18:07 pm »
It is normal. 

Last year was my first time with apiguard, and I put it on when it was very warm, 80-90F.  They tore out gobs and gobs of capped brood in the first couple of days, far more than 4-10.  I really freaked out, but they seemed to do OK and they all made it through the winter great.

This year the temps weren't near so high, and I didn't see anywhere near as much of that as last year.  A little here and there but nothing to cause alarm.  I treat beginning at the start of Sept, and this year was much cooler.  And september is early enough so that they can at least get another brood cycle in before winter.

I think the temperature range should be at least in the 60s for it to be effective.

Rick
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:20:45 pm »
Its also been cold, so they could be chilled brood.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 10:16:32 pm »
Rodni, did you count your pre-treatment mite drop? You started from packages this year, odds are good that your mite levels are ok, even if you had some.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC