Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: window  (Read 3626 times)

Offline CAN-I-GET-A-ROLL-TIDE

• New Bee
window
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:27:38 pm »
Has anyone ever put a window in a langstroth hive? I was thinking of putting it so I could see around 6 - 8 frames from their ends so in the winter I could see where the cluster was and how much stores I have left. I would put in in the "inside" so its flush with the inside of the hive. I would also put a lid on it much like the top bars. With that said anyone ever seen one and would I be able to glue the plexie glass in?

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: window
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:48:27 am »
I have never put one in a Langstroth, but I have in a TBH.  I routered the hole and left a small amount on the inside to help hold the plexie glass, glued and made the wooden door.   If I were to do it again I would put the pexie glass on the inside,flush with the inside, put enough glue or putty on the outer side to hold it in place.  With it beeing straight up sides would help.  I have the door henged on the bottom with latches on the top. 
Good luck

Joe

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:56:12 am »
Personally, I'd avoid the plexi in favor of glass due to glasses easier cleaning.  I've got 2 observation hives, one with glass and the other with plexiglass.  The plexi gets increasingly harder to clean with each cleaning, eventually loosing much of the transparency.  Haven't used the plexi one for quite a while (always intended to replace the pled w/ glass).  Glass cleans up real nice.

I've heard of folks placing 'windows' into their Lang systems, usually a small one on the side of a DEEP (no reason a medium couldn't be used though) leaving them in place until winter, window facing NORTH so the sun won't enter the hive.  I suppose someone could build several so they could be used as a complete hive!………………..So, it can and has been done, I see no reason why anyone shouldn't try building one.  In fact you have inspired me to at least think about this as a summer project, THANKS!

Have FUN!!  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:12:08 am by T Beek »
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:46:58 am »
With being in Utah I figure this would be a good way to keep a eye on my honey stores and the location and size of my cluster. That way I can know without popping the top and losing that heat.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:42:29 am »
Windows loose heat!   

However, I suppose its possible to use 'windows' during winter 'provided' that some form of protections are used.  Perhaps just a piece of 1 or 2" foam board covering them. 

Another factor to consider;  Bees don't like light entering their living quarters so some type of semi-permenant drape would be needed in any case.  Removing the cover ONLY when 'we' want to peek.

Oh yeah, the wheels are turning now!  :)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:08:12 pm »
Well homedepot sells styrofoam insulation, that you could cut to fit the window then put a window cover, 1/4 masonite or something similar. I use the styrofoam insulation to cove up my basement windows in the winter works really good!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:11 pm »
I made a wooden door or cover to fit the hole, put hinges on the bottom side, and put a latch to hold the cover in place.  When you want to look in on the bees you let the cover down, put it back up when through.

Joe

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 05:16:00 pm »
This sounds like an excellent idea. I just finished building a couple of hives, so they are not in use yet so a perfect timing.

Safety glass?
Thickness of glass?
How large a window?
One on each side?
Where should it be positioned, as in high low side to side?

Seems pretty obvious that there should be a cover over it, that is impermeable for light. I suspect the foam would make a great insulator but not so great, long-term, light excluder because weathering would probably break it down allowing light in. (just guessing)
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline kateowp

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 10:04:55 am »
Did anyone actually make a Lang window?  If so, what did you do and how did it work out?  I'm thinking of trying it myself but would like to learn from others' experience first.