Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help me with new hive  (Read 1864 times)

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
Help me with new hive
« on: March 18, 2007, 09:13:11 pm »
I have two new hives that I bought and I was wandering if I should feed them right away? If not, then when should I feed them??? Can someone please tell me if I can save the sugar solution in a milk jug or some type of container???

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Help me with new hive
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 09:25:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum, here is my 2 cents:
I don't think you should feed them if they are established hives with stores, spring is here and you should have enough forage for them.  If it is a package then yes you should feed them and the sugar syrup can go in a milk jug or the likes.  Keep it out of the direct sun. 

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 10:50:19 pm »
I don't know which part of NC you are in but with such a mild winter here in Western NC- temps in the 60's through January - I chose to feed my two established hives 2 gallons of syrup the first part of this month.  The mild winter caused the bees to be more active and they went through their stores more quickly than normal.  Now for the past two days the temps have been below normal again but they are supposed to rebound this week.  I'll not feed anymore.  They were bringing in a bright yellow pollen last week...not sure what it is.  They will be raising brood fairly quickly now.  If pollen is coming in and they have a small amount of capped honey from last year then I wouldn't feed.  Really depends on your location and what's blooming in your area.  Someone with more experience may offer some better input.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 12:35:48 am »
Here is a site I find handy www.pollen.com and although it is not really directly related to beekeeping, you can surely see the help it can be when trying to identify pollen sources. Hope it helps :)
If notable pollen (allergy relate) is in your area (enter zipcode) it will list the trees and plants on the page with links to greater info on the sources. If no link is present, pollen levels are low and a flow may not be heavy enough to trigger a list.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:03:53 am »
Anytime a hive is light, feeding is appropriate.  If there was a flow it wouldn't be light.  :)  Lift it from the back.  You can put syrup in any container you'd put food in.  If you would consider water drinkable after you put it in that container, it will work to store syrup.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 11:07:38 pm »
Thanks John,

You're right, the site itself (pollen.com) isn't geared toward beekeeping but it is an excellent resource.  Even gives a bar graph showing anticipated pollen count levels over the next 4 days.  I feel better educated knowing what kind of pollen the bees are bringing in!

anything