Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shipped package bees  (Read 1566 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Shipped package bees
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:20:44 am »
I was just looking at a site that sells package bees and was reading the shipping information regarding filing a claim in the event of a dead package arriving. It said to inform the postmaster immediately and not to accept the package and fill out the appropriate form. It went on to state that they (the company) was not responsible for the bees after you took them home. (Ok so far, I can go along with that) But then it said that includes a dead queen and there was not any queen replacement guarantee. So how in the world am I supposed to inspect a queen that is surrounded by a 3lb mass of bees in a queen cage, in a package with attendants at the Post Office without opening it up and being further banned by the Post Master from ever returning again (heckuva run on sentence and I apologize). That may be the norm, but it is the first time I have ever read it under someones shipping terms. And I'm sure package suppliers are being constantly ripped off from fraudulent claims, I just thought that would be a pretty amusing scene to unfold at the Post Office.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Shipped package bees
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:08:46 pm »
I did not think that the Post Office would insure packages any more, but I might be wrong.

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:50:45 pm »
I think that calls for a phone call to the supplier prior to ordering, and maybe a different supplier.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:39 pm »
The informed consumer......

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:36:22 am »
volunteerK9 writes:
That may be the norm, but it is the first time I have ever read it under someones shipping terms. And I'm sure package suppliers are being constantly ripped off from fraudulent claims,

tecumseh:
no I don't think that is the norm.  I would simply look for another package supplier.

imho there are a lot more honest folks out there than folks seem to suggest.  there are of course folks who's word and reputation means nothing on both sides of the transactions.  special interest forums (like this one) are an excellent place to discern the good from the bad (buyer or seller).  if I had any question in regards to a particular supplier I would ask quite directly here.

if you are a newbeekeeper and you have decided to go the package route there is a whole list of question I would ask... at that point you are working towards being an informed consumer.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:26:27 am »
Yeah, this is my first year with 7 hives started from packages this past April.  I will probably buy a couple of more this upcoming year and constantly on the lookout for a good supplier. I ran across the 'no queen guarantee' place through a post on here and just thought it was particularly odd.

anything