Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting up in the spring.  (Read 1853 times)

Offline ranger774

• New Bee
Starting up in the spring.
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »
Really new at this have read, and researched etc. but no bees.  Have the equipment needed and bees ordered for spring.  In the meantime just trying to learn all I can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Starting up in the spring.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 09:27:35 pm »
Learn away and welcome to the forum.

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 01:58:03 pm »
I"m going into my first winter. I must say for all the studying, it was easier than I thought. And I love it. Next year I should get some honey, then it's fresh honey and mead for me!
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 07:32:40 pm »
Welcome to the site! Larry

Offline Ignots

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:03:27 pm »
Yeah...I started up this past spring, late, due to bad weather down in GA where my packages came from but it all worked out.  Had bought a full hive setup, then parts for spares, had a second hive so bought more parts and ended up with 4 hives come June, 1 TBH (I built) and 3 Langs from the parts I ordered (and still had spare parts :) ).  Next year I am adding 10 hives from packages and hoping for 6-10 splits off nucs from my existing stock.  I've spent many hours sitting along side the hives and watching what they were bringing back, and reading, have quite the library now.  Starting 4 hives in a friends yard too, out of the 10, my first out yard up in Amish country.  My TBH has been modified to accommodate a deep 10 frame rising from the back 6 bars, one hive is 2 deeps and the other 2 are 3 deeps.  They are all solid with bees, having gone through 600+ pounds of sugar feeding this year and patties.  They all are well stocked and humming nicely now with the cold weather and hoping they make it through the winter.   Can't wait for spring but have lots of building and planning to do.  Love Mann Lake too...

anything