Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ouch!  (Read 3495 times)

Offline asciibaron

• House Bee
    • The Elvaton Apiary
ouch!
« on: September 06, 2009, 05:02:18 pm »
got stung yesterday on the end of a finger, now that finger and most of my hand is swollen.  man this is painful.  i've never had a reaction like this.  i'm thinking of using gloves from now on.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: ouch!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 07:28:37 pm »
different places seem to give different reactions.  i wear gloves because i always swell up like that, but some places like the wrist are really bad. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:40:19 am »
I know what you mean Kathy got stung on the inside of my wrist the other day boy did it burn like I got hit with a branding iron. Never had one burn like that before :shock:
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:13:44 am »
Ascilibaron, ouch, ya, know what you mean.  I have had a sting on the tip of a finger once, and it really hurt.  I think that this time of year the bee stings hurt more, no clue why, but yes, a sting in September....have that most awesome day, love and live it with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Creamhorses

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »
Got pinned on the forehead after saving an ungreatful lady & a few of her friends from the tray under the screened bottom of one hive.  I don't [DIDN'T] wear gear for such  a thing, but may re-think that after still feeling the effects from yesterday.  She was on a mission from the get-go.

I need to find out how the bees are gettiing on that tray. 

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:02:02 am »
I wear gloves so much at work that I'm used to them - can open a pocket knife or use a camera - so I just don't see any reason not to wear them most of the time.  Everybody always says that they can't do anything with gloves on, but they just take getting used to.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 09:39:08 am »
>got stung yesterday on the end of a finger, now that finger and most of my hand is swollen.  man this is painful.  i've never had a reaction like this.  i'm thinking of using gloves from now on.

That happened the first few stings I took on hands and fingers ---- now hardly any swelling @ all. Maybe a few more stings and you may be over it???
John 3:16

Offline asciibaron

• House Bee
    • The Elvaton Apiary
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:21 am »
the swelling is mostly gone now - when my finger was swollen, i could see the puncture marks from the two stings on the same finger last season.  i didn't realize how scarred up my fingers were, the swelling highlights the "flaws"

i don't wear gloves because i fear i will be too aggressive with the bees and the gloves would only enable more violent handling of them.  i got stung because i was not moving in a deliberate manner and allowed a bee to get between my hand and the handle of the bee brush.  it also was the result of not planning out what i was going to do with the frames of honey as i removed them from the super which was still on the hive.

i need to refine my process for removing the supers.  any suggestions on getting the frames of honey off the hive?  my "one at a time" method leaves much to be desired - i'm basically carrying it to the house and brushing the remaining bees off as i go.  there has to be a better way.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 06:59:59 pm »

Offline Creamhorses

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:11 pm »
I don't think that's what I want....I'm happy with the screened bottom board and the slide out tray beneath it. It looks like the bee escape is an alternative to what I have.
 I need to find out how the bees are getting through the screen.....maybe it has a rip in it.  If so, it's gonna have to wait a week or two.  I was just in that hive a few minutes ago.

Thnx

Dave

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:04 pm »
I need to find out how the bees are getting through the screen.....

they may be crawling under if they smell any syrup or honey drips.  mine can get under in the back easily.  i have to watch it when i pull the slider out or i end up with bees in my face.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Creamhorses

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 08:08:34 pm »
That's exctly wht happened to me.  There were 4-5 in there today....but I was looking through a veil, and spuddered some unmentionable as they flew away.  No pinger in that crew.

What is this deal where I'm supposed to get stung once or twice a week....supposed to ward off the IRS or some foolishmess?  Anti-bodies or a new cure for something?  :^)

My neighbor Beek got hit 50 + times last week.....he just stood there and grinned when he told me....I picked my lower jaw off my belt and left. 

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 11:45:40 am »
You have to keep up with the stinging to reduce the inflamatory reaction.  I would think 2-3 stings a week would do that, but I don't usually get stung on hive visits.  Besides the reputed health benefits of bee venom, the tolerance to stings is important to me so that my hands don't swell up like sausages if I get stung on the finger  :shock:.  I now sting myself to acquire this resistance.  Stinging on the bicep seems work since they are not extremely sensitive and it is easy to self administer with tweezers. One sting a day, alternating arms, for a week, should reduce the acute swelling from a sting to almost nothing, perhaps just a small wheal. 
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 03:25:50 pm »
Stinging on the bicep seems work since they are not extremely sensitive and it is easy to self administer with tweezers. One sting a day, alternating arms, for a week, should reduce the acute swelling from a sting to almost nothing, perhaps just a small wheal.  

I choose to go natural :-D! Never had a problem getting a few stings.
John 3:16

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 03:59:57 pm »
some people do build up a tolerance to stings.  others don't or even get worse.  over the years i have stayed the same.  lots of swelling, heat, itching, but not death.  i'll live with that and carry the benadryl  :-D