Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm trap placement?  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Swarm trap placement?
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:58:00 pm »
Will be placing my first ever swarm trap this year.  Really could use advice on when, where, how high to place it and the best bait.

Help please.

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Moots

Re: Swarm trap placement?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:01:10 pm »
I'll take a shot, with the disclaimer of "I put out my first 2 swarm traps about a week and a half ago.  :-D

I used my two 6 frame Nucs that I had my bees in for the first month or so.  It's my understanding that the "bee smell" from bees having actually lived there is beneficial.

There's another whole discussion concerning the size of the trap...Some think 30 Liters is optimal, I think the general rule is the bigger the box, the bigger the swarm.  Sort of like fishing...the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish.

Apparently most everyone agrees Lemon Grass Oil is the lure of choice.  There's a 1000 different ways to apply this (Do a search, Bailey had a good thread on this a few weeks back where many different methods were discussed)

Bailey has a high tech method but you need to knock off a medical supply house and complete a two year college course to pull it off.  :-D

The other thing most will agree on is that a piece of old brood comb if very helpful....Some will say it causes an issue with wax moths.  But for newbies like us, we have none anyway, so no issue there! LOL!

I think most would agree, in general, that higher is better.  However, realize no free bees are worth breaking your neck, so there's a trade off there.  I think most try for at least 6 feet, although any height can work from what I understand, I think 10 to 15 is better, if you can safely pull it off.

I also think you want a clear path to the entrance, not a lot of brush or limbs obstructing the way.  Also, I want to think I've heard...Not deep into the woods, but more on the edge of a tree line.

As to when...Folks in Louisiana are already putting them out, I'm guessing you should be too far behind us, maybe early March???

That's my best guess....Hopefully, someone who has actually caught a swarm can clarify anywhere that I may have led you astray.  :)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:21:52 pm »
Thanks Moots.

I have several places on my property that I think will work. I have a tree line in my pasture that faces east might work. Morning sun and all.

I tell you what, this bee stuff is all consuming.  I can't stop researching and learning. Hell I don't even have my bees yet. :)

Thanks a lot. Really do hope to catch a swarm.

Good luck with yours.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:35 pm »
I trap a lot.  That's where my genetics come from.  All survivors.

My traps have lemongrass oil lures and brood comb.  
I hang them in trees etc about 8 to 10 feet up.
 I look for tree line edges and points as target areas.  Something that stands out as a navigation reference
To bees.
If there  is forage vegetation in the area due to bloom its a plus.
If there are known wild hives in the area ( within 400 yards) this setup is almost a 100% winner.  Some sites
Give two or more swarms each year.  
If you hit one hang another trap when you pull the swarm down.  
Hang a trap there each year and you will really increase your catch rates.  

Don't ignore waterway edge tree lines and fence rows with big trees here and there.  
Also look for back road tree lines where there are roads or driveways that branch off the main road.
Lots of driving around and looking for these things is what it takes. 
Pic below is a typical setup for me. Sorry it's sideways but its the only pic I currently have.

Bailey

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:48:03 pm »
I had the best success hanging my traps on tree lines along canals. I usually only put mine as high as i can reach. I use used nuc boxes that bees were allready in with a few drops of lemon grass and that's it. when the main flow hit last year i litterally caught too many.
Who Dat!!!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:25:44 pm »
Right there with you gov.   My best results come along the bayou as well.   Thanks for confirming this idea for me. 
I set a lot along waterways with good results. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »
Right there with you gov.   My best results come along the bayou as well.   Thanks for confirming this idea for me. 
I set a lot along waterways with good results. 
Bailey

I will be putting almost all mine along canals and Bayous this year.
I put some in the woods last year and all i caught was Roaches!!!! They scare the hell out of you when you open it up and they come running up your arm. :shock:
Who Dat!!!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:58:36 pm »
Done that a time or two!!!!

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:05:40 am »
Care to dish out the details for the lure.  I happen to hve access to medical supplies. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:12:13 am »
I take a pipette like is used in lab ( cheap plastic). Suck up some lemongrass oil and set it bulb
side down for an hour with the open end up. 

After an hour I squeeze the bulb a bit then clamp with a hemostat just above the bulb. 
I then cut off the excess and seal it with a soldering iron while keeping bulb about half squeezed.

After sealing I release the clamp.  If the bulb stays compressed the seal is good.   If it expands then the seal is crap and I try again. 

Into a ziplock and then into the freezer till needed.
The smell goes right through the plastic of the pipette. 

That give ya enough of an idea?
Bailey

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:46 am »
Brilliant.  I have gobs of those things.  Do you think a hot lighter would seal them off?  I don't have a soldering iron, but I figure any heat source may work.  Shouldn't take much to seal that plastic. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:32:12 am »
Buy a cheap soldering iron.  Only a couple bucks.   Open flame might combust the lemongrass oil. 
And I don't think it would seal well either.
Bailey

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 12:57:16 am »
I will probably only set out a couple.  It probably would be easier to just buy one, but th cheapo in my will get the metal head on a lighter red hot and try it.  Not actual flame but the hot metal. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 01:24:17 am »
2425, I haven't put out any traps, but in the late afternoon I have had swarms in fence row trees between hay fields(crimson clover and hairy fetch), in the spring.  The next morning they would bee gone.  Good luck.

Moot on the bigger fish, last time(years ago) I went down to Venice fishing the first fish we caught that day was a yellow fin over 100#, limited out on amber jack, got several grouper,and some Mahia mahia.  I think the smallest fish we got that day was between 30 and 40 pound.  We had very little room in the ice chest for ice, and we had several ice chest.

Joe