Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Skinny Queen?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Skinny Queen?
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:54:22 pm »
I went through my 2 hives yesterday, and noticed that the marked queen that I got with a package last spring looks kind of small and skinny compared to the other one (her daughter) that I raised late last summer.  That wasn't the case last fall.  Both seem to be producing reasonable amounts of brood, and I didn't notice any queen cells although I wasn't really looking for them, and I didn't do a full and thorough inspection.

I worry too much?  Maybe I should go back and look for swarm cells?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Skinny Queen?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:08:16 am »
They are not laying as good when slim. Do you have brood and eggs in that one? :)doak

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:57:47 am »
They are not laying as good when slim. Do you have brood and eggs in that one? :)doak

There are brood and eggs for sure, not impressive amounts but not too bad either.  I wonder if she is just out of room to lay?  I don't have a lot of drawn comb, and they have already made and capped some honey. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 02:26:23 pm »
I found my queen last summer looking very skinny and not laying that great.  Shortly after they superceded her.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:13:03 pm »
I found my queen last summer looking very skinny and not laying that great.  Shortly after they superceded her.

That would be alright as long as the process is succesful.  See, this is why you should keep a few nucs with spare queens.   Fortunately a few months ago I ordered a couple of carni queens with the intention of starting nucs with them - supposed to ship in late April.  So whatever happens I should be alright.

This queen is only a year old and hasn't been very impressive.  I guess it happens.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 11:20:40 pm »
How fat they are varies from week to week depnding on how much they are feeding her and how much she is laying...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything