Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BEEMASTER'S New Home - DECK QUESTION  (Read 2721 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
BEEMASTER'S New Home - DECK QUESTION
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:38:14 pm »
You have all probly seen the other post with a name something like this - it is the photos of my new home (losing June 20th - ugh) anyway - I have a major project I want to have taken care of by JULY 4th - I want the window in the dining room taken out, that wall opened with a French door and build a beatuiful deck over looking our nicely landshaped yard. A great space to have friends over too spill out and meet others.

QUESTION IS - how big is a big deck - looking at the front of the house, the image showing everything to the right of front porch - that photos shows the rear corner where a deck about 8 feet high will be built coming out major nice weather proof doors - this being my gateway to barbquing all Winter long.

So how big of a deck raised that high (guess height only matters in cost of vertical material and added stay brackets and braces. I'm thinking 12-14 out from the house and 18-20 along the rear of the house. Either way, it does not obstruct anyones view, yet magnificently enhances our life there.

And cost - I hear to build a heared construction for French oors can be a bigjob, not to mention the deck. All said I figure maybe $15000 - wow. A lot of money banking on great resale appeal but more importantly, our enjoyment. I'd love to sit there after dark, looking at the sky and listening to talk radio - just thinking of the magic of radiowaves and how light works and neats stuff like that while trying the second micro-brew beer my wife grabbed me that night - ummmm experimental beer quest - my continuing saga - lol. night all.

Let me know how big is to big, why is too big too big and what are the good and bad of either small or large deck?

Crap, I forgot, I got a really neat program by Better Homes and Gardens a LAndscape and Deck software - you create full screen virtual walking tours of what you design. I can't wait to learn that. Although I already got most of the yard planned, it is definely a garden yard, a place for tree and plants - all to return again next year, plus a 40x40 space for anything left.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: BEEMASTER'S New Home - DECK QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:48:36 pm »
John, I have no clue how big you should build that deck.  But you have painted a pretty picture of what you aspire to have in place for those beautiful summer evenings, spent with your lovely Wife, in your new home.  You very obviously love the evenings outdoors, with this great and wonderful patio, you will be able to enjoy them, just like that picture you painted.

Something that I want you to keep in mind for your evenings spent, gazing at the stars and wondering.......go to a nursery and chose some flowers that are renowned for their evening fragrance.  That will only enhance your experiences during these warm and beautiful summer nights.  Along with all the other experiences of the night, you will enjoy aromatherapy too.  You must listen to me, take that time or ask your Wife to take that time, to bring night flowers to your deck, you will never look back, nor will you not be glad that you heeded my advice.  Find those fragrant flowers that bloom in the night.....most of them really enjoy the warm evenings of summertime.  This should be as important a job as getting that patio of your dreams built......Oh those beautiful dog days of summer, coming on fast.

Good luck with advice on the dimensions of the deck.  Picture that beautiful French door, opening to this deck, your barbeque, the night time enjoyment on this patio, in your new home.  Have the best that this wonderful day can offer.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:55:27 pm »
The night flowers sound great - I'll definitely go for aroma theraphy, I know what spices it can add to one love life too  :-D :evil:

Yes, cool nights with nothing to do is a BLESSING in a world of turmoil - of course I'll have the laptop with me, and Ventrilo on, by I'll see ever star and Tracey enjoys the Talk Chat Gang alot. What fun it will be. And being so far from the woods line we will not be bothered much by bugs - no water around there, about 1/4 mile to the main river, but no boggy skeeter filled crap. Thanks about the fragrant night blooms - I'll need my Superman PJs for that adventure  :-P

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:57:52 pm »
+ you have to calculate the max weight capacity for the deck and engineer accordingly.  or...have only a few friends  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:08:21 am »
True Kathy:

I'm not doing ant jobs myself that involves anything except adjust a door, chang an air filter and make myself a shop to work in.

The French door, is major cutting inside and out to build a header, although only roof is above the door location. But energy efficient once installed. And the deck will all be pro-done too.

You know I'll have painter, electricians (even having our dishwasher installed) and hopefully Dallas will be up around then and by the 24th, I plan to live in the over nights - maybe ready to permanently move in, and we have months and months to bring stuff by cars to the new place.

It is gonna be cool - everything from all the new window treatment will be made by Tracey, I'll rig up a contraption to drop the grabage from the second floor and NOT have to walk all through the house to the Garage or outside. I see it being a FLAW in bi-level designs. A coworker has a rope that opens a lid, he just drops the bag from 8 feet up into a can and he just drops the bag and then lowers the lid. Almost hands free, but needs a $15,000 deck to do - lol. Guess I'm walking the garbage through the house - ugh that's stupid.

anything