Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy from North Texas  (Read 2527 times)

Offline wunderdawg

• New Bee
Howdy from North Texas
« on: April 03, 2009, 05:03:47 pm »
Hi, I am very new to beekeeping, (IE, just building my first hive), and am looking forward to this new hobby. I live on 6 acres in north texas, with a new orchard planted this spring. I have questions, most of them newbie type questions, and I hope I don't "bug" all the veterans here.  my first question is this.......My hive has a brood box, and 2 honey supers.  The brood box has foundations installed, but the honey supers do not.  Is it necessarry to have foundations in the honey supers?  I know thjis is elementary, but we all have to start somewhere.  Also should i buy a queen excluder? 
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving may not be for you.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Howdy from North Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:43:38 pm »
welcome!  couple of things.  1st, many answers to your questions will depend on where you are.  if you go into your profile, you can add your location.  2nd, you'll probably get more answers to your questions if you post them in the general beekeeping area.  more people read and answer down there.

in short....you do not need and excluder. some never use them.  you do not need foundation, but you need some kind of guide to help them begin to build comb straight.  many use strips of foundation in the top of the frame.  search 'starter strip(s)' on here and you'll find lots of info.  it does not hurt to have one or two sheets of foundation in the center to give them the idea.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wunderdawg

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:31:11 pm »
Thanks. Sorry for the post Faux Pas.  I did look at starter strips and there is a wealth of info.  Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to learning about these fascinating creatures.
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving may not be for you.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:38:53 pm »
you made no error.  i just wanted you to get the most bang for your post  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:09:40 pm »
Hello and Welcome Wunderdawg 
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:31:20 am »
Wunderdog (I like that name), welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  Stick around, here you can have a place to tell us of your experiences, make new friends, spend some very quality time on the internet, we love new members.  Have that great, most wonderfully awesome day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:56:32 pm »
Welcome fellow North Texan.

anything