Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do???  (Read 2401 times)

Offline TapStoneBees

• New Bee
What to do???
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:36:47 am »
Hello everyone,

Okay here is a question, this weekend, I have noticed a few, no really more than a few Large Japanese Hornets, wandering around the hives..... I mean I think they are Japanese, I didn't her them say anything, but by the way they look they seem to be the closest to what I have seen in the books, and online.  They are Large, about 10X's the size of a bee, and Black and gold, they look very nasty with some sizeable mandibles.... yes I was close, but not close enough to destroy them. 

I hear they send out scout hornets to the hive, that they mark with phermones, and then return  with others to Destroy the hive and the bees.  i hear they come for the bees, and then for the Honey and the larvae.

My question, is What Should I do???   Today I went out with some bleach and water and wiped down the hive, do try and remove the phermone.  Hoping that this might erase the smell so the others don't come.
Suggestions of what others have experienced or done, would be helpful and very appreciated.
Looking forward to hearing what you seasoned beeks have to say.
Thanks again, I always find you to be the best at what you do!!!
"Do or Do Not.... there is no Try!"

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: What to do???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:18:24 am »
we dont have the Japanese Giant Hornets here in the USA, what you might be seeing is a European hornet or a Cicada Killer, they might get a bee every know and then but it is nothing to worry about, the European Hornets are huge, looks like a small humming bird, do a search and see which it is, nether attack a hive like a Japanese Hornet with a army...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: What to do???
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:32:27 pm »
I have a lot of cicada killers in my yard.  I've never seen them bother the bees.  They are the biggest wasp like creatures in North America I think.  They live on cicadas which are having a bumper crop this year.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything