Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining colonies of different races  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Combining colonies of different races
« on: September 23, 2008, 02:11:57 am »
If I have a hive that's Italian and another that's Carniolan, it's it okay to combine them together using the newspaper method?  Or would they kill each other?

I have a deep super that's LOADED with honey that I would like to put on a hive that's really weak.  I wanted to not take the bees out of this super and just combine with the other hive to give them a little boost.  I know the queen is not in it cause she's been hanging out in the super below it lately.

Combining colonies is no problem, I just never done it between races before.

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Combining colonies of different races
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:09 am »
I don't think there will be a problem with that. The bee's I got from a guy are that mix he Say's they are more mellow bee's.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:17 am »
I just did that very thing this past weekend, and I have seen no issues yet.  That said, it's only been two days since I combined them.
Brian

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 04:58:16 pm »
Well I did it.  Gave them that super and all seems well.  Will check on them next weekend and see how they're getting along.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 04:59:58 pm »
Sean, I still havn't seen the baby...  :'(  Bet she's all wiggly & giggly by now!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:08:04 pm »
I know Jody!  What the heck!!!  lol  Have you been going to the meetings for the bee club?  I've been so busy this summer that I've totally forgotten them.  Wanna go to the next one?  We still need to come over and see your bees and koi and birds before it's too late!

Sean Kelly

anything