Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello for Utica NY  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Hello for Utica NY
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:01:53 pm »
Hi all we have kept bees for two seasons now.  We lost the first hive to too much moisture and won't make that mistake again.  Good news is we got 39 pounds of honey this fall from the new hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Re: Hello for Utica NY
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:09:55 am »
Welcome to the forum.  You will pick up lots of tips here.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline mudlandmin

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:21:11 pm »
hi! i live close by you. I'm just starting next spring so im trying to get all the supplies togther...any advice? :)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:53:08 pm »
We bought our kit from Better bee which we are very happy with.  Tabbed joints didn't line up on one box but they made it good.

We hear now that the amish are making wooden ware dirt cheap up near Watertown if you are really out to cut costs.  We haven't made up our minds about Bushy gardens for our next hive.  I think Better bee has a better kit price and there is not much difference for piece parts between the two.

Any hobby costs money to get involved initially.  I have always felt that when you are in the learning curve (almost lost) it is better to start with new, otherwise you are always second guessing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BBees

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:20:00 pm »
Hello and Welcome,

For anyone living near Utica, NY, the Mid-York Beekeepers Association will be giving the Beginner Beekeepers Course again at the Cornell Cooperative Extension in Oriskany. The first of six monthly classes starts Monday, Jan 17th at 6:30pm. (rest are Feb. 21, Mar. 21, Apr. 18, May 24, and June 20). Registration fee is $10. One lucky attendee will win a hive complete with bees awarded at the last class. Seats are limited. Call Jim Morawiec at 315-368-4732 to reserve your place. If there are any questions, PM me.

Again welcome,
Steve Burton
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. Confusius

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:28:27 pm »
hi Steve,
How do you like this site?  I think it is super for the newbee.  I don't think too many members are on this site from our area.  Maybe you could give a plug for the site at our next meeting.  I think it is worth it.  Add it to your syllabus.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BBees

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:22:53 pm »
I think this is a great site, no matter what stage your at in your beekeeping. I'm putting together a reference list to include books, magazines, and other internet forums and links that I've found helpful. This site is already at the top of the list. Please PM me any you think should also be added.

Thanks, Steve
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. Confusius

anything