Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvesting Chunk Honey - new video  (Read 6516 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Harvesting Chunk Honey - new video
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 01:46:16 am »
It's butterfly weed (not the same as butterfly bush)....Asclepias tuberosa

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/BackyardBiology/PlantoftheMonth/

It only blooms for about 3 weeks but the bees are hanging off of every flower when it does.

(And thanks for saying such nice things about my video efforts)

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline bozbee

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 11:38:29 am »
Awesome video Tillie. Wish i'd seen this before this past Sunday when I harvested my own. I'll try this method the next time. Thanks so much for documenting your experience.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 07:32:46 pm »
tillie....you're just amazing. rarely could one learn so much from a beek, even a very experienced one, but you..with one year worth experience are already contributing sooo much. if you keep up this good work, i'm sure your blog will soon become one of the most popular and educational there is-for beeks.

now..to the question, have you ever asked your customer about what they do with the chunk honey? ok...obviusly you can chew it, but still....

by the way, tillie have you ever thought about selling the whole frame? just weigh it, put it in a nice plastic foil...it would be much easyer, plus..IF i was the customer, i'd rather buy the whole frame instead of buying a pint of honey with a small chunk of chunk honey.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 07:53:03 pm »
Hi Mici,

Thanks for the nice words.

I don't sell my honey.  My friends like the chunk honey because its more of the "real bee" experience.  Personally it's my favorite kind of honey product.  I melt it in my tea (take a teaspoon of combined comb and honey) and drink it.  I like to spread it on hot biscuits with the comb included.  I like the depth and dimension.....but everyone is different. 

I also love the clear liquid honey as well.

What can I say, I love everything about the bees.

Linda T in Atlanta

anything