Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quik Peek into hives.  (Read 1366 times)

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Quik Peek into hives.
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:54:26 am »
Hello folks,

I've been away for a while, working on a new job opportunity that looks very promissing but has also taken up a lot of my time.

Well I took the opportunity with the warm weather the other day to take a look into my hives. I found that two of my five hives are dead. Bummer. The other three are doing well from what I could see. One of the three was very active.

I just opened the tops and looked down in. The healthy looking hives I just put the lids right back on and re wrapped. The dead ones I pulled a few frames out of the top box just to see what I could. There seemed to be plenty of stores for them. I am going to assume that they froze. I have them wrapped with bubble insulation but ventilated so that there isn’t a condensation problem, but freezing is the only answer that I can see at this point. I didn’t get a chance to dig down into the hives and see more. Maybe other answers will reveal when I get a chance to do this.

In the mean time I still have three healthy looking colonies!!

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Alfred

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Quik Peek into hives.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »
Cleaning your deadouts now will be a lot easier than waiting til they are a moldy mess inthe spring.  Just don't bang frames and break wax.  Look for dead mites on botom board and tell us what you find please.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 04:16:56 am »
>Cleaning your deadouts now...

Unless it's 70 F out, I don't clean them out anymore.  Often they are just lethargic and they get some sun on them and you find out they are alive.  I wait until they are "warm and dead".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:59:14 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I will give them some time and wait until it is warmer before I really dig in there.'

Alfred

anything