Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive swarmed yesterday  (Read 1939 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
Hive swarmed yesterday
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:49:58 pm »
Yesterday,I was standing in my yard and looked over to see one of my hives going bannanas. A cloud of bees hovered over the hives for a few minutes, then landed  about 35 feet up in an oak tree in my yard. It's been raining here ever since. The swarm is still there as I type this. I am just racking my brain trying to come up with a way to get the swarm out of the tree. I can't climb this tree. I can't reach it to cut the branch off. I looking for suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Offline beetalkin

• New Bee
Re: Hive swarmed yesterday
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:37:25 am »
beevac & 30' of pvc pipe

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:42:18 am »
Well just in case anyone was wondering, I talked with asprince, and he suggested that I use pvc and a bee vac. I glued together 30 feet on 1 1/4 pvc. I then connected my bee vac. Lastly I stood on an 8 foot ladder in the box of my pickup. It worked like a charm. Thanks asprince.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:42:47 am »
ole riverrat being the redneck he is has often given advise that may not be in peoples best interest. but here goes hold my beer and watch this. if you are out in the country ya get the ole shot gun out and shoot the branch breaking it off have a buddy stand under the branch to catch it and gently lay it into the nuc box you are hiving the bees in . this requires 3 people 1 to shoot the gun one to catch the branch and a real talented redneck that can hold 3 beers :-D
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:23:45 am »
Aggggghhhhh! Where was this danged thread 2 weeks ago when my strongest hive swarmed and for 16 hours hung tantalizingly 40 feet above me. I tried everything I knew to try...I'm not sure I'd ever have thought of coming up with a long vaccuum attachment like that.

Believe me, next time something like this happens, I'm posting here. You people are inventive.

"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline drstan

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »
I read this topic then the following day got a call for a swarm about 25 feet up way out on a branch.  Quick trip to Lowes and 20 feet of 1 1/4"   pvc and had a swarm about the size of a beach ball with the queen.
Thanks!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:33:32 am »
Congratulations guys! Sometime you have to think out of the box to get the bees in the box.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan