Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Grandson and the banty rooster that grew up huge  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
My Grandson and the banty rooster that grew up huge
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:09 am »
Yesterday morning my Nephew and youngest Grandson accompanied me to the chicken houses to let the chickens out.  They both had stayed overnight and wanted to give the birds a good morning treat.  My Grandson was telling me that he saw the Banty rooster in the first hen house.  He told me that he saw it had grown up to be really big.  I just smiled at him, thought he was pulling my leg.  Out marched all the girls.  The little white, blue legged one first, the next white one, then the Muscovey ducks and drakes, then other chickens and then....out marched Antonio.  I almost flipped my lid.  Antonio is the big Rhode Island Red that generally sleeps with the other big white rooster, Roquefort, with the older group of hens that we originally had, in the other coop.

A couple of days ago we had opened up the gate between the two chickenyards and allowed all the original chickens, the chickens which we purchased a couple of months ago and the Muscovey drakes and ducks to mingle and get to know each other.  Roquefort and Antonio were in their glory with a whole new set of beautiful ladies, with which to pass some time.  There was no dissention among this crowd, they melded like they were the best of old friends.

So, when the night time had come, Antonio must have took it into his bird brain that he was going to take over the girls in this chicken yard.  They didn't have a rooster to guide and look after them, and he thought he was the perfect dude.  And so he is.

In this particular chickenyard I speak of we have the Araucana, 4 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 8 brown sexlinks, 1 golden chicken, the white gal with the blue legs, (oh no, my Sister has actually burst my bubble with this one, she thinks that the blue legged girl is a rooster, eeeks!!!  and I have already named her Lucy), and the fluffy white one, probably a White Leghorn I guess (along with the Muscoveys).  We have added 8 more brown hens to that yard that were offspring from our original brown sexlink chickens, they are about 8 weeks old now and should be laying soon.  They had been in a separate area near the rabbits until they grew up enough to be put together.  So, Antonio will have a lovely group of girls to look after, he is happy, that is clear as clear can be.

Antonio (the red) rarely ever crowed that I could see.  He was rather silent.  But now that he is hanging out with his girls, he seems to be crowing alot and I have seen him so frequently, in the small time even that he has been with these ladies.  It is cool.

Ooops, so where was I.  Right, my Grandson.  He had thought that Antonio was the little Banty rooster (they looked kind of the same, that beautiful red, but the Banty is more colourful and has that rose comb, with a fluffy thick cape).  He thought that was kind of funny when I told him that it wasn't actually the Banty rooster, but it was the big ol' Antonio that had been living over with Roquefort.

Don't children always bring that smile to our face, gotta love these little dudes that will grow up to get great and wonderful big dudes.  Have a fantastic day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: My Grandson and the banty rooster that grew up huge
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:48:05 pm »
I have already named her Lucy

How's Luke sound?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:32:01 am »
I dont know  Cindi the blue legged one does not look like a roo. It would have a much redder and bigger comb then that if it was a roo. I just think it is a pullet that is cross with a ee. As some ees have blue gray legs.

Speaking of chickens Brian hows the hatch going??? You had said this weekend. I hope the post office did not shake up the eggs to badly for a hatch out of them.  I have gotten anywhere from a 40% to a 80% hatch rate on shipped chicken eggs. Turkeys on the other hand is another story. Oh and on the Cuckoo Maran eggs the chichs that look lighter with allot more white gray on there head and back will be roos. The darker they are those will be pullets. Just an fyi. Let me know how your hatch rate goes on those shipped eggs. Because if they did not go to well I will try to send ya some more eggs if you want. Just pay for shipping. I do know that the post office that time of year can be a bugger on eggs.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:05:28 am »
Angi, hee, hee, I have no clue what an "ee" is, I presume some kind of acronymn, maybe for "everything else"?  Not a breed is it? Hee, hee.  I think it is a pullet too, but my Sister said that she saw some bumps on her legs, that made her think it was a rooster I guess.  Anyways, her name will be Lucy, whether it is a boy or girl.  Brian, Luke would have been good, my Husband said Lucifer.  But nope, Lucy is it and I'm sticking to it.

Now we have to figure out what to call the turkey, my Husband wants to call him Richard.  Go figure that one, he must have known someone by that name.  Eeeks!!!  Have a greatest of the best day.  Cindi

I see by my weather site that the days are now 1 minute longer in the morning, sunrise 8:02, and the day is longer by 10 minutes in the evening, sunset now is 4:28 P.M. so go figure that one out.  I can already tell a difference in the evening light, but not the morning, yet.  Good, spring is coming 'round the corner.  You will get sick of me speaking of the lengthening daylight, coming out of the winter darkness, revelling in the sunshine that I know will come.  Some day.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:10:42 am »
Yup You have it right Reinbeau Easter Egger Or better known as Aracanna or Americanna

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:17:08 am »
Angi, Ann, maybe, maybe not, we'll have to see when Lucy gets a little bit older what she looks like.  Right now, she just looks like a white chicken with blue legs, I don't see any fluffy neck feathers or any beard showing up yet, that is one of the traits of the Araucana, right?  Have a greatest of days, Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:17:47 am »
I had temp and power problems with the incubator.  High winds have a tendency to knock out power and when you're alseep you can't start the generator to compensate.  So the hatch was a no go.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 03:32:45 am »
Uggh I am getting more and more eggs now so if you want to try again I will give you a discount. It will be easy getting 2 doz now with getting upwards of 9 eggs a day.

Angi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »
Uggh I am getting more and more eggs now so if you want to try again I will give you a discount. It will be easy getting 2 doz now with getting upwards of 9 eggs a day.

Angi

Start collecting this coming Monday, I'll take 2 dozen mixed Cuckoo Marans and Dark Cornish.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:27 pm »
Brian, argggh, what a bummer.  You have been working hard on incubating those eggs, that is a hardship and I feel for you.  I know what you are saying about the power out.  You wake up and the power has been off, only knows for how long.  This winter has been the worst I have ever seen with power outages, I think about 5 so far.  I will be getting some Buff Orpintons for incubating really soon from a woman who lives pretty close to me.  She raises Heritage turkeys too, so there is a new interest.  She wants to renew her Buff Orp stock so she asked me if she gave me the eggs if I would incubate some for her, and I would get the eggs free.  Sounds like a deal good enough.  Now all I have to do is get my Husband to set a switch on the incubator, in case of power outage, it causes alarm.  We have that generator that can run quite a lot.  Although, as we are getting out of winter the power failures should decrease (hopefully).  Well, good luck with the new incubation of the eggs from Angi, I wish you well.  Have a great day, Cindi

anything