Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chalk brood in Alice Springs  (Read 3758 times)

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
Chalk brood in Alice Springs
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:26:57 am »
G'day all. Anyone on here from Alice Springs?
Have you been affected?
Any advice from the community for those affected. I have a friend there who may need it.

Cheers
Aaron

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-24/bee-disease-takes-hold-in-alice-springs/7439894?WT.ac=localnews_alicesprings

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Chalk brood in Alice Springs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:52:46 pm »
First, make sure the hive is in the sun. Usually it clears up with a good flow, if not replace the queen. 
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 07:19:23 pm »
I see it's been wet in the Alice too, which is what would've brought on the c/b. Eucalyptus and tea tree oil 10 ml to a hand sprayer of 2lt or so. (Garden sprayer thing). Make sure it's clean in fact best to buy one just for this so there is no residue from past use. Get euc or tea tree oil that has a water soluble emulsifier added. Most supermarkets sell these products. Spray the floor of your bottom board.move your hive forward or back too so that the landing area is clean. Reapply spray in 7 to 10 days to kill remaining spores.
Yes requeening is good but as it's winter here leave that until October.
Good luck let us know how that works for you.

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:21:10 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Will let my mate know.

Offline beeutiful

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:54:42 pm »
Hi,

I am from Alice Springs and recently posted about a biosecurity workshop we had here a couple of weeks ago and we talked quite a bit about the chalk brood problem in Alice Springs at the moment, http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=48509.0 we are talking about starting a beekeeping club here in Alice Springs so if your friend is interested let me know and send me his/her email and I will forward all info about new club to them.

Cheers
Tori :smile:

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:11:19 am »
Thanks Tori, will get a hold of his email and message you, would be a shame for it to continue due to people not being aware and trying to stop the spread of it.

Cheers.

Offline Bill S

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 09:04:13 pm »
I am a beekeeper in Nowra NSW and for the last 25 years been using Bananas to cure Chalk Brood in my hives.  I have never re queened the hive after doing this even though the DPI officials say you have to.  I cut a banana in half down the centre, skin and all, fold it out flat flesh upwards and place under the lid on top of the hive mat.  On inspection in a couple of days, there is no banana or skin visible anywhere and a lot of dead mummies out the front entrance.  On inspection of the brood, no visible chalk brood can be found.  If it persists do it all again and you will eventually get rid of it.
Bill S

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 11:41:51 pm »
That is what is great about this web site, you learn something new every day.
Thanks,
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 01:04:03 am »
Welcome Bill S.   :happy: