Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mims trap out  (Read 11919 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Mims trap out
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:20:02 am »
I started another trap out recently and thought I'd show ya'll how I (normally) go about it. I'm constantly changing things up a bit depending upon the situation, but this shows the basics.

Iddee has done a fantastic job with the explainations...this is just his teachings in practice!

Mims trap out part 1_0001.wmv

More parts to follow.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
Re: Mims trap out
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:26:04 am »
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:35:13 am »
This is great!!!! I have read a lot about trap outs now I get to watch one!! Keep the Vids coming, I really look forward to them and I know others do as well!!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:00:33 am »
Scott that is a great video series you have going. I put the eggs in on day one of the trap out though, it seems to draw the bees into the bait hive better. I think their instincts are to cover the brood comb so it will not get cold and since they are returning with nectar and pollen the brood will not go hungry (of course there would be some in the brood comb anyway). Just think if you would have put eggs into the bait hive on day one you would have already had capped queen cells (I look at it as day three of the making of a queen cell).

Just my experiences, not meaning to try and school you! I am just learning from Iddee also. I have a couple going on now and really trying to watch the last one much closer to learn more. The first trap out I did, used a ripe queen cell and it worked like a charm.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:12:39 am »
Sweet video.    Thanks for posting.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:25:08 am »
G3, I've done quite a few of them now and every time I've tried to put the eggs/brood in on the first day (or even second day if there aren't enough bees in the trap yet) the SHB have taken hold and once the frame is slimed the bees won't ever move in. I'm sure it works well in other areas...too many beetles for that here though.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:36:42 am »
AHHHHH did not think of SHB in your area. Good call!!

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:57:03 am »
Great set up, Scott. Glad you found a solution to the SHB. It will help many in the southern states.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:19:39 am »
...waiting on the queen cell update video...

Thanks to you an Iddee my first trapout was a success. Planning on setting up another one shortly.

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:41:03 am »
Scott,
Many thanks. Just what I needed...a step by step approach. I am getting prepared for a ...TO....of a feral hive about 8-10' up the tree which is an old limb not hole that protrudes from the tree about 3".

I have the funnel prepared from screen wire...should I use the #8 instead?

I used a small die grinder to level the bark(Oak) around the entrance where I will attach the funnel base.(This tree is dying and will eventually come out).

There were 2 entrances and I have blocked off the top one (located in the saddle of tree and another limb 6' up from the lower opening) with screen. There was much hovering around the blocked entrance for a couple days...none now....after several days.

All work has been done at 4-5 AM with a light. They don't seem to be agressive...so far. 8-) :roll: My suit will be here in a few days.

I am looking for a frame of brood/eggs from someone nearby...hopefully. What is the time limit of transfer of eggs from one place to another...hours/a day? Conditions needed... warm/moist/light, etc? I have read...warm...95-98 degrees/covered with a mosit towel....?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the vids coming or I will bee or get lost! LOL
I'm  Preston

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 11:04:07 am »
Scott,
I conclude that you don't expect to get the queen?
When she comes out will she just fly away?
Why wouldn't she naturally want to rejoin the hive body that has been re-assembled?
Wouldn't that possibility be assisted if the funnel nose head was directed into the box?
An old timer told me to ...end the funnel nose... into a small hole in the collection box...just above the landing area. Anything wrong with that thought? If there is nothing wrong with that approach...I may use it.
I'm  Preston

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 11:24:08 am »
Presston, if you will be there from daylight to dark daily to re-open the cone when it collapses and closes, screen will do. Otherwise, 1/8 in. hardware cloth.

Many beeks have scraped hive bodies making holes in them for the cone. Most are on the scrap heap now. Just ask Robo. That's where his is. By the time the queen comes out, the catch box will be queenrite, so no place for the tree queen. The fight to follow may just get them both killed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 11:29:17 am »
Heres The World Renowned Iddee explaining a trapout...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JPthebeeman#p/u/16/wTqFbiaD_js

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 03:48:35 pm »
Heres The World Renowned Iddee explaining a trapout...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JPthebeeman#p/u/16/wTqFbiaD_js

================
Great stuff...thanks.
I'm  Preston

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 03:55:58 pm »
Presston, if you will be there from daylight to dark daily to re-open the cone when it collapses and closes, screen will do. Otherwise, 1/8 in. hardware cloth.

Many beeks have scraped hive bodies making holes in them for the cone. Most are on the scrap heap now. Just ask Robo. That's where his is. By the time the queen comes out, the catch box will be queenrite, so no place for the tree queen. The fight to follow may just get them both killed.
======
Thanks...got both points. 1/8 it is.

On th second point however, would that be an opportunity to split the hive by removing the collection box at a time given in the TO period with say...the first half of the colony with eggs for a new queen........ and the balance from the tree hive MAYBE the old queen?

Just exploring.
I'm  Preston

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 05:39:23 pm »
The bees will build more than one queen cell. If you want more than one hive from the to, remove the catch box while the cells are capped and place one or two of them in the new catch box. If you want to experiment on how to catch the feral queen, go for it. Maybe you can find a way.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 11:19:42 pm »
Great job on the videos Scott! Will definitely be tuning in for part three!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 12:53:42 am »
great video, i agree keep em coming.  I will be doing three trap outs this week.  Wish me luck
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:50 pm »
Here's part 3. I'm really not sure how long this will keep going. The hive beetles are really thick at the tree. I'm thinking about trying to catch the queen but time constraints might make that moot.

Mims trap out part 3_0001.wmv

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 04:20:05 am »
Man, y'all got a lot of shb down there Scott!

Nice video, even though your hair was a little out of place.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything