Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello all/ i'm a new-bee  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Biddybean

• New Bee
Hello all/ i'm a new-bee
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:55:49 pm »
Greetings to all,

We got our first hive in March which is nestled in our 1/4 backyard lot. Since I'm new at this, there are many things I want to know that will help us check on the health and well being of our hive. We've had 1 full inspection of our hive and 2 minor ones (checking for queen and so forth). I can't really say for sure that I know the difference between brood or honey in the comb. My husband took a 5 week class but we're both discovering that we need more input as questions arise. We are also part of a brand new bee keeper association in our area.

I registered to this forum to utilize the know how of the members, instead of typing my questions into google, which is how I found this site. I hope to learn more with your support and to utilize the archives before asking too many questions.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello all/ i'm a new-bee
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:34:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask any questions.

Offline Biddybean

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:47:17 pm »
Thanks AllenF! We got our hive on April 5th, not in March. I just looked over the bee journal I'm keeping of our first hive. Our queen is there, the hive is docile and happy... so we think everything is ok despite our lack of know how, they're amazing creatures! We put a super on today to help their growth. They've filled over half the brood box and we want to be prepared. 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:32:36 pm »
Give them space to grow when they need it and let the girls do all the work in the hive.   They know what they are doing. 

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:19:32 am »
Welcome to the site!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:50:02 am »
Welcome to the forum Biddy.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:59 am »

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your bees, Biddy.  If you have any questions just ask, someone here can usually answer it.

Joe

Offline Biddybean

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »
Thanks so much for the warm welcome, I really like this site and I appreciate the encouragement! It's comforting to know as a new bee keeper that I have some where to go when I need it.  :)

Offline ME Girl

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:47 pm »
This site is great!  When my husband and I started a few years ago we found it and it has been a life saver!  We watch be videos most evenings after the kids have gone to bed.   :)

Welcome!

Shannon
Life is too short not to stop and watch the bees.