Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: virgin queen  (Read 3224 times)

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
virgin queen
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:33:59 am »
I grafted some queens and they hatched on July 25th and she was suppose to mate by July 31st. I checked my hive that has my grafted virgin queen on August 1st and didn't see no eggs or anything.  Does it mean she never went mating? I haven't checked my hive since august 1st to see what's happening in there. But once I check and there are no eggs, what should I do?  lately we've been having rain and thunderstorms in the evening and not sure if it has anything to do with it.
Thanks Art

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: virgin queen
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:17:30 am »
Check in another week. Your schedule is very tight in the timeframe of expectations. It does not always happen that soon.

Queens usually mate between late morning and about 3 pm.  So late day thunderstorms should not interfer with the process.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 01:57:44 pm »
my last one took one month from egg to laying.  i almost combined the hive with another thinking i'd lost her.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:41:24 am »
I have found that 2 weeks is not long enough to verify queens.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:25:05 am »
Two weeks is typical.  But some take longer.  If you don't have eggs after 24 days from emergence, then I'd write them off.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin