Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mississippi Beeyard  (Read 7196 times)

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
Mississippi Beeyard
« on: September 15, 2007, 03:46:04 am »
Here's a few pics from one of my beeyards.

The bees made the sunflowers really grow this year!

8-)
Dr/B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Mississippi Beeyard
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:06:56 pm »
yep id say the bee bug bite you prety good  ;) RDY-B

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 12:11:31 pm »
They look like they are three feet off the ground.  What happens when you have supers stacked up on top?  Mine are 3 1/2" off the ground and I have trouble with a booming hive with the top supers.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 01:15:53 pm »
Beautiful photos of a very well tended bee yard. Thanks for sharing.

Annette

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 05:27:44 pm »
They look like they are three feet off the ground.  What happens when you have supers stacked up on top?  Mine are 3 1/2" off the ground and I have trouble with a booming hive with the top supers.

Yea, actually these are about 2 foot off the ground.  Keeps down on skunks and the like, but a bit hard on my back at times, in a good honey flow. 

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 09:16:20 pm »
Oh yeah..........and this is also why I'm considering some top entrances next year.  The mice around here are quite bad at times in the winter months.

Dr/B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 12:05:55 am »
Dr/B.  I see all three pictures, lovely set up in the beeyard, and looks very nicely kept.  Love the sunflowers!!!!  Good for you, yeah!!!!  Have a wonderful day,  best of this life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 12:10:06 am »
>The mice around here are quite bad at times in the winter months.

I would bet the 2' jump will slow them down a bit.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:08:08 am »
Dr. B, what part of Mississippi? Nice set up. In the second picture it looks like lots of dead bees on sand in front of the hives, everything ok?
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 01:09:31 am »
Dr. B, what part of Mississippi? Nice set up. In the second picture it looks like lots of dead bees on sand in front of the hives, everything ok?

Down in Simpson Co., Miss. 

Yea, those are dead bees.  I put down old carpet in front of my hives in the spring, to keep down the weeds from in front of the hives.  As the year progressed, the bees cleaned out their respective hives, and tossed out the dead workers onto the carpet.  Yes, it's dead bees, but collected over about 5 months.

As to what kind of bee year I've had, I've lost more hives to swarming this year than I wanted, simply because I was limited to my time working them this year.  I simply wasn't there to catch them.  My dad would call me at work and say "you've got another swarm down there", but they'd be gone by the time I got home from work, alas I've taken steps to fix that for next year.  My bees seem to be thriving (knock on wood).  I worked 3 hives yesterday, that I swear I could split each hive into 10 splits each if I wanted to (although I'm not.  I'm through with splits this year).  These are the most bees I've ever had in a hive.  All three hives are 4 deep brood boxes high.  Busting at the seams with honey.  All four boxes, on all 3 hives packed with bees and honey.  These bees propolize more than the others, but seem to make more honey than the others.  Most of my hives are in good shape going into the winter.  We've still got some a good fall honey flow just starting down here.  They should do well. 

I seemed to have a lot of feral swarms attracted to my bee yards this year.  I wonder if the feral bees smell something that attracts them to my yards.  Back during April, May, & June this year, I've had at least 2 swarms in my yard, EVERY DAY for I'd say 6-7 weeks.  I actually ran out of places to put them.  Every single box I had was full.  I hived several on just empty frames.  It got somewhat aggrevating, when we'd be getting ready to go out to eat with the family, and look down to my yard and see bees hanging, but this is what you deal with in the bee business.  I had a swarm that was the biggest swarm I've ever seen.  It could have filled up 2 five gallon buckets with bees.  It looked 3 foot long and at least a diameter of 2 foot across of solid bees.  I hived it for 3 days straight, placing it in a hive each day.  It still swarmed and left.  I should have put a queen excluder on the entrance, but ran out of equipment to use.  I know these bees did not come from my bee yard, so that's why I feel they are attracted to my yards for some reason.  I split all my hives around mid-March, and split them really well.  We pulled them down to about 2-3 frames in each split, and split some hives into as much as 4-5 splits, 6 weeks before the spring flow.  Even doing this a few of mine swarmed later in May and June.  Go figure?

I had a lot of days, where I'd go to my yard, and there'd be what seemed like MILLIONS of smaller black honey bees flying ALL OVER EVERY hive, all over my bee yard.  At first I thought it was a swarm taking flight, but these bees were all over every hive.  I didn't understand what was going on, and just decided it was one or several feral hives trying to rob the hives in my yard.  They were all over every hive, covering the tops on each hive.  Seemed like millions of bees in a tornado of a swarm.  They really didn't bother me much, as I could walk right out in the middle of them, and not get buzzed.  Anyone else every have this happen?  Maybe it's common. 

It's been a great year!
I am blessed!
Thanks for asking :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 09:32:12 am »
Dr/B.  Now this was an interesting story, you must have been swamped!!!!  I couldn't even begin to imagine going to work all day and trying to look after all this swarming stuff that you encountered.  But it sounds like you did a great job, regardless.  Yeah!!!  Good for you!!!  Have a wonderful day, best of our beautiful life (and I complain about working 9 hives, eeks!!!!!).  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 10:03:22 pm »
Dr. B, a guy I know in Brookhaven, actually I just met him a couple months ago, anyway he told me of these little nasty black bees that he runs across some times. He says they are aggressive. Are you near Terry?
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 11:05:58 pm »
Dr. B, a guy I know in Brookhaven, actually I just met him a couple months ago, anyway he told me of these little nasty black bees that he runs across some times. He says they are aggressive. Are you near Terry?

Terry, MS is a little ways from me.  I'm about 30-45 min from Terry.  I've talked to several beekeepers in this area that know of these feral bees.  A beekeeping friend of mine down in that area is Mike Everett.  He's got a bee yard down around Crystal Springs and I believe one in Brookhaven.  Was it Mike you met?

Wonder if these black bees are the kind of feral bees MB talks about and breeds?  These black bees here are a little different in temperment.  Last year a huge swarm flew into my dad's yard covering the whole back yard.  Everything seems to have bees on it, and the swarm (if that's what it was) was not concentrated on one spot, but spread out over a 20ft x 40ft area all over the ground.  Again kinda the same story as I told about my beeyard.  These bees do not really focus in one spot, but spread out all over the whole area.  Just your average back yard, with no hives around for 50 yards or so.  I cann't remember how many times I've went out to my beeyard, and just thought what's this?  Black bees flying all over.  Each time I just observed and they eventually left my beeyard.  They seem to try to rob or something for 30 minutes or so, then leave. 

Now I've seen multitudes of swarms around here this year, but these swarms didn't really act like the black ones.  I don't believe they're AHB because they are not really relentless in pursuing you when working them.  Maybe they're just a feral strain, that's in the area.   I've got 3 hives of these black bees.  They build up really well, and REALLY produce a lot of honey.  They propolize like crazy, and do seem to get after you quicker than others when working them.  Maybe in a year or two I can put them on some small cell and regress them down a bit, and they'll be my next mite-resistant genetic line to introduce to my bee yard.  Queens a comin'.........

Oh yeah!..........

Dr/B

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 12:28:00 am »
The man I met is Roy Jolly. I believe Shane at Wand feed store may have mentioned Mike Everett in conversation. I could be wrong but Mike may be the guy Shane mentioned that is about to plant 400 acres of dutch white clover. Does this ring a bell with you Dr. B?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 01:28:45 am »
I'm trying to talk my brother in Natchez, MS to start keeping bees.  He has a place picked out and has read books but won't take the plunge quite yet - says he's too busy being a doctor.  Are you anywhere near Natchez?  Maybe he could be inspired by you....

Linda T once upon a time in Natchez, now in Atlanta

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 11:19:34 am »
The man I met is Roy Jolly. I believe Shane at Wand feed store may have mentioned Mike Everett in conversation. I could be wrong but Mike may be the guy Shane mentioned that is about to plant 400 acres of dutch white clover. Does this ring a bell with you Dr. B?

Not the same Mike.  Mike Everett lives up at Magee, MS.  He's really into growing queens, and has probably more info on queen raising than anyone I've ever met.  He's apprenticed with a few queen growers in the area also.  I'm predicting he'll be one of the biggest queen growers in Miss in the next few years.  He's really into it.

I'm trying to talk my brother in Natchez, MS to start keeping bees.  He has a place picked out and has read books but won't take the plunge quite yet - says he's too busy being a doctor.  Are you anywhere near Natchez?  Maybe he could be inspired by you....

I'm about an 2 hours from Natchez.  He should just start with a couple of hives in his yard, just to get into beekeeping.  Later get more if he's bit by the beekeeping bug.  .........paint them like big bird houses so the neighbors won't complain........ha :-D

Dr/B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 10:16:39 am »
Linda, I always love to read your little "blurb" about what you are doing when you end your posts!!!  They are very cool, and tell us exactly how you are feeling and what you have been up to  ;) :)  Have a wonderful day, girl.  Cindi

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 10:36:48 am »
I attended the Central MS Beekeepr Assoc., meeting last night near Raymond, MS.  We are setting up a booth at the Mississippi State Fair in Jackson next week.  You need to come by and visit.  It will be in the MS Trade Center.   

The biggest problem we are having is not the varroa mites, but those darn beetles.  One beek lost most of his honey to them.   
Chuck and Fran

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 09:01:22 pm »
Fannbee, I have heard the same thing from beeks in Mississippi, shb, bad, very bad.

anything