Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: difference between blog and website?  (Read 9843 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
difference between blog and website?
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:14:22 pm »
Whats the difference between a blog and a website? I mean I know you can sell things on a website and have links and other stuff like that.
 With a blog, can you put pictures in?..Can you mention products you sell?..Does a blog cost a monthly fee? Can you have a blog that can be found on the net like you can a website?
your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: difference between blog and website?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:28:37 pm »
a blog is usually personal.  it's about your own stuff, or political stuff, or hobbies.  lindas site is a good example of a blog http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/.

most blogs allow for comments from the outside.  some are run by organizations.  many are free and easy to set up.   some free blog sites have some rules about what you can and can't put up, but it's usually open to whatever you want to post.  yes, you can post pictures.  if you are selling stuff, you need to check and make sure that the site that hosts the blog does not have any rules against it.  you can link to other sites.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:48:07 pm »
Thanx Kathy!
 I believe you answered all my questions then!
your friend,
john

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:09:06 pm »
 Oh yeh,....Kathy, that was a great link to lindas blog you sent me. Thanx again!.....I told Linda too, and asked her a few questions. I'm fixing to go back and look at her movies!
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 11:58:46 pm »
John, wait until you see what Linda has done on her blog!!!  Her videos are great, as are her narration.  She is an instructor for sure, and yes, I think that she has done a marvelous job of her spot.  Enjoy it, I know I sure have.  Best of a great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:23:01 am »
Yeh,after seeing lindas, I went ahead and started one for me!
 I dont know how to find it now!!!..Its getting late so I guess I'll look for it tomorrow!
 I googled Johnnybigfish and found all kinds of places I went to forums at, and even another guy who uses my name in a myspace!
 Talk about "Identity Theft"!
Oh well.....
 your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 08:54:52 am »
John, ha, now that was funnneeee!!  Wonder where it went, hope you can find it and that if you can't, that you didn't spend too much time on it, to lose it, that would be a bummer.  I am sure it will turn up somewhere in this cyberspace of yours.  Have a wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:31:29 pm »
In theory a blog (Binary Log) is a chronological diary.  A web site is just a web site.  A blog IS a web site.  A web site is not necessarily a blog.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 03:30:33 pm »
  Well, MB, you sure made THAT sound simple!

Cindi, I can find my blog and know how to post words so far. I just cant figure out now how other people can find my site. I think Linda did, and when I clicked on my blog from her email to me it went to my site.
 Ok,..For instance, If I wanted you to see my blog, how would I direct you on how to find it?....If I google my blog it says there is no place like that(or something to that effect).
  My blogs  url is     Johnnybigfish.blogspot.com
Is this what will take you there?
 I cant ask my buddy Paul and his wife because they're at work today. I dont have any email addresses any more except theirs. They also have dial-up and it may take a long time for them to download it. Can you let me know if you find it and tell me how you did it?
your friend,
john

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 03:43:08 pm »
In theory a blog (Binary Log) is a chronological diary.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog

A blog (a portmanteau of web log) is a website where entries are commonly displayed in reverse chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

Just another way to whittle away the long winter hours until spring when the bees are flying again!!!

Rick
Rick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 03:50:51 pm »
if you cut your blog address out like this   http://johnnybigfish.blogspot.com/  you can paste it around and direct people to your site.  search engines tend to list sites that have traffic.  yours will pop up on things like google, as people find your site.

paste your address down in the members blog section, add it to emails that you send to friends, etc.

looks like you are off to a great start!!  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 05:41:22 pm »
Good for you for getting started!  It doesn't take long and if you keep it up, you'll find that people will find you.  Mine is now visited by an average of 125 people a day from all over the world.

The Internet is a bit like a spider web - which is why search engines "crawl" the web.  If your site is active, it tends to move up in search engines - as if a fly is wiggling around in a spider web, the spider finds it because of its activity. 

Interesting note from Mr. Rogers: The reason a spider doesn't get caught in its own web is that the horizontal lines in a spider web are not sticky, so the spider navigates on the horizontal threads rather than the vertical ones which are sticky. (Oops - I think I said it backwards - the vertical ones are not sticky and the horizontal ones are  :roll: :roll: :roll:)

Also the more you write about, the more topics on your site are referenced by the spider.  I imagine this also has to do with Google being the host of my blog, but if you search Google on any beekeeping term on which I have posted, my blog typically shows up in the first or second page on a google search - mostly because I have "wiggled" a lot and therefore gotten a lot of attention from the spider.  I think when a visitor reads a page on my blog, that also counts as a "wiggle" in the web.

Good luck,
Linda T in Atlanta
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:43:47 pm by tillie »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 09:11:06 pm »
Looks great John! My Dad thought I would probably grow up to marry a bass! As a kid I had this fascination with green trout, I have always loved to fish, still do. Anyway, great job on your blog, and here's a picture of a redfish I caught on my flyrod. I fought this fish for 45minutes, took pictures and let it go.

Sincerely, JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 09:58:33 pm »
Nice fish.............would look better on a plate with a side of grits and some slaw.

Let's eat, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:06:10 pm »
Nice  fish!!
 I used to catch redfish and sea trout down around Aransas Pass years ago on my vacations. Never caught keepers tho. Never tried my slabspoons back then either.I dont think I was making them that far back. Yep, my folks always thought I'd be like my uncle Tom Tom..Just fishing my life away and never getting married..Well, finally got married at 40 and after the honeymoon was over(about 3 years) I started fishing again...Dad and i picked back up where I had left off!...Dads 78 now so we arent fishing every day, about like we used to, but we can generally get out at least on the weekends....and after work,....and when I call in sick,...You know what i mean!
 Fly rod!!! Now that must have been something! I used flyrods as a kid in Alaska but dont think I would use them down here...Fish are usually caught right near the bottom, or else are surfacing and I'll have to sling my lure out into the next county to reach them!

See you later!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 10:16:06 pm »
Hey Steve, I had a blast that day caught something like 15 on the flyrod, it was just terrific! The limit in my neck of the woods is 5. They have to be 16" and you can only keep one 27" or larger. We ate the other five over several meals. I like to sautee them in butter and seasoning, then add a cream sauce with shrimp and onions over the top, so good you wanna slap your momma! :-D

John, we fish the marsh here, average depth is like 3'. This is another one I caught. The other redfish was a bruiser. Nothing like catching them on a flyrod!

Sincerely, JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 11:47:08 pm »
Nice Blog John.

You are a very interesting person who seems to live life fully. I could not help laughing though when reading your favorite music is NPR classical. I never expected to read that. The reason is my husband is an NPR classical music freak. The music is on all day long and sometimes I just get tired of it. I do love the music, but also love the silence.

Take care
Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 11:53:28 pm »
John, I followed Kathy's link and looked at your blog, looking good and you're doing well.  Keep on working on it, it makes for some interesting reading.  Have an awesome day.  Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »
  Hey Annette, does your husband listen to "Prairie Home Companion"?
Or Clik and Clak, the tapit Brothers? Wenever I have a radio in a boat we all listen to Clik and Clak..NPR has more cool stuff than most people know of.(Maybe you gotta be over 40 to DIG it though) What i've learned about NPR is that its not a station to have on during a party cuz you'll find yourself telling other guests"Hey, listen to this guy" or you'll tell them to hold on because "This is myfavorite cowboys",...Then,...Dont even attempt to pull me away from "Lake Wobegone"!
 Now i have to get pics taken again and find some old news stories about my shop and my lake records. I still have copies of these in cardcopy, its just a matter of finding them....Then getting then into by blog!
 Ok,...Holler atcha later, you guys!
your friend,
 john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 11:23:27 pm »
Yes, we both enjoy Prairie Home Companion and another program called Harmonia. They play early ancient type music (renaissance, baroque, things like that) Clik and Clak is very funny, but my husband doesn't generally listen to that. I like some of the interviews also (Terry Gross). We also get our news mostly from this station as we do not watch television. (no signal at our home, and not enough worth watching to invest in cable or dish)

Take care
Annette