Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Killed my queen tonight  (Read 2180 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Killed my queen tonight
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:45:41 pm »
her majesty was on the lid when I opened the hive. I tried my best as gentle as I could to get he back in the hive, but i must of banged her, she isn't looking so good..... kinda laying on her side... she is a new queen I just hope she laid some eggs before the assanition attempt ....darn.....

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Killed my queen tonight
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:32:25 pm »
I had one on the inner cover last time I opened hives and she just did not want to go back into the hive.  They are funny sometimes. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:01:37 am »
usually they'll smoke down.  i don't even look.  guess i will from now on!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:56:13 am »
I think I did one in the other day marking her, it made me sick to my stomach for the rest of the day.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:23:09 am »
Last time I inspected our best hive, I smoked from the bottom and removed the migratory cover.  15 minutes later the inspection is done, I had not seen the queen, and I picked up the migratory cover to replace it.  And there is the queen, along with maybe five workers... just sitting on the inside of the cover.  I VERY CAREFULLY  replaced the cover, trying not to crush the queen.

Since then, I've been smoking from the top.   :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:35:15 pm »
Bye a new queen

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 06:15:23 pm »
because i work my  hives from the back, i always puff a little smoke under the inner cover before i pull it.  i go down the line and puff under each, then go back to the first and start working.  maybe that's why i don't find the queen at the top.  i almost never smoke the entrance.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 07:29:30 pm »
I lied, my queen is good as ever, lol!  I think I just took the wind out of her.  Today I inspected the yard and went strait to the colony of this queen figuring to surly find several emergency cells only to find lots of nice young larva and eggs and then the beauty her self with a nice yellow disc on her back.  Not one emergency cell.  I could not believe my eyes.  I am so happy about it, I was like a kid on x-mas morning after opening the present I have always wanted, lol!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:56:05 pm »
My mentor says they sometimes faint after being marked. I don't mark for fear of killing her. I let my friend/mentor do it so I can blame him if something goes wrong.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:39:09 pm by asprince »
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »
well that would be cool is she just fainted......fingers crossed

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 11:57:10 pm »
about queens on lids I have had that happen a couple times.  Once I had a queen fall on my foot and I would not have seen her if she was not marked, lol!  She was not on the lid but I have seen queens on the lid too.  I have also pulled the outside frame and then looked for the queen only to find her on the frame I set aside when putting the frame back in lol!  I do as Kathy does but I do three to six hives from the entrance then come back to the first one and crack the cover and give em some smoke.  If I am just doing a swarm check I just pop boxes up and smoke the crack, tip up and look under it, set aside and go down to second to bottom box tip that up, if no queen cells, larva or eggs in cups I just put em back together other than pulling one frame or two out of brood nest to check brood pattern.  If I am doing a thorough inspection I do the same thing but I stack all the boxes in different locations so the queen cant move from box to box.  I dont use enough smoke to run the queen cause I can usually almost call the two or three frames I will find her on.

Thomas Jefferson

anything