Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: chatty question about watermelon honey with pic.  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
chatty question about watermelon honey with pic.
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »

this is why I finally took up beekeeping; this is very very very likely to be one of our bees pollinating our cucumber plants - it isn't a pretty picture, but I find it interesting to note that maybe because of the wet weather she's covered in pollen. I tilled in horse manure for the garden this year (the neigh-bors gave me and the guy next door a pile of it) the horse manure brought an astounding abundance of seeds for plant species I'm not sure I've ever seen before; the weeds have grossly outrun my ability to pull them fast enough.
Just thought you'd find this bit interesting.

I haven't been offered any pollinating contracts; but I may offer some bees up to some organic farmers locally. (if there are organic farmers locally -the *ahem* rednecks around here almost seem to think that ingesting chemicals is good for your health.)
I've read on here that cotton honey crystallizes very quickly and is great for making creamed honey.
My question is this: does anyone know anything about the quality, properties of watermelon honey?
be happy and make others happy.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: chatty question about watermelon honey with pic.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:47 pm »
Don't think they get much nectar from water melons. They don't get anything much from squash or cukes. Around here we sometimes have to feed bees on melons, cukes and squash if there is no other source available in the area.
John 3:16

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:38:05 pm »
 I've watched about 25-35 hives on my way to church for about a month now on watermelons. They pulled the feeder buckets off about 3 weeks ago when the bloom started and have not added any supers. The bee money there is in pollination along with the other crops sc-bee mentioned.
 If Dallas slows down enough and shows up, he can tell you all about it. He has bees on mellons now.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:52:06 pm »
We had 65 hives sitting in the middle of 350 acres of mellons of all types. It was BY FAR the BEST honey I've ever had. Very light and sweet with no aftertaste. I've had many people rave about it and due to the unfortunate misuse of chemicals all 65 hives were killed and no one will go near that farm again. The farmer never owned up to spraying, but the bees are dead...This was the most depressing thing I've ever seen,
My mentor, who owned the hives is still in a state of depression and has just about given up after 15 years.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:12 pm »
We had 65 hives sitting in the middle of 350 acres of mellons of all types. It was BY FAR the BEST honey I've ever had. Very light and sweet with no aftertaste. I've had many people rave about it and due to the unfortunate misuse of chemicals all 65 hives were killed and no one will go near that farm again. The farmer never owned up to spraying, but the bees are dead...This was the most depressing thing I've ever seen,
My mentor, who owned the hives is still in a state of depression and has just about given up after 15 years.
wow, I would think a farmer would have some consideration for his pollen boosters. This is why I was hoping to find a handful of organic farmers.
be happy and make others happy.

anything