Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to get a queen to lay eggs?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
How to get a queen to lay eggs?
« on: February 16, 2009, 10:16:43 pm »
 I have some new drawn wax that I would like to use to rear queens. What would be the best way to get the queen to lay in this frame, without caging her?
 Just drop it in the middle of the brood nest for a day? What about creating a queen cell builder and  putting her in it for 24HRS? Then return her to the original hive.
 I would like to have a frame of eggs that I know the age of to work from. Thanks for your help

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: How to get a queen to lay eggs?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:48:51 am »
If you watch as you work the hive, the queen starts laying in frames on one side of the box and continues to the other side. Find the pattern of your hive, and slip that frame right next to the frame the queen is currently laying on, next in line in the direction she is moving in the hive as she lays. She will prefer to lay in virgin comb to old comb, so she will move to it next in line quite readily.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: How to get a queen to lay eggs?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:50 pm »
well it takes 3 days for a egg to hatch, drop it in and check it in the morning and evenings, when you see eggs then you know when it will hatch, ain't hard, look on the side or middle of the hive and look for eggs or young brood and place it there, it could happen the first day and then again they might want to polish the cells a day or so before she lays, easiest way is look for young larva and graft from those  ;) , easier than you think!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic