Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What will happen? Rotating plastic with comb  (Read 1091 times)

Offline samuils

• New Bee
What will happen? Rotating plastic with comb
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »
Ok I was wondering... I got some super cells and want the queen to use them, so I was thinking, if I rotate the boxes, say take super cell box and place it on the bottom, and place the current brood box and rotate it up.  Will the queen move down and start laying there?  Ok before anyone answers please read on.  I understand that for bees to accept plastic they should have no room to expand elsewhere, I get that part.  What I am trying to achieve here, is the wax part to stop being used as brood laying place and for queen to start using super cell.  The point is I need all wax ones to hatch out, so I can fix those combs, and I am really nervous about going in to fix right now because I dont want to kill the little unhatched ones, nor do I want to squish a queen in the process by mistake .

So will this rotation work?  If you have an improved method, please let me know

All replies are always appreciated thank you 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: What will happen? Rotating plastic with comb
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:42:38 am »
If you don't want the queen to lay in the one box, drive her up into another box by drumming or drive her down with fumes (bee quick etc.)  and put an excluder on to keep her out of the box you don't want her in.  That ore flip the box upside down and pull the box off of the frames and do a cut out... then you can remove whatever you like, keep the combs with brood in them and put one or two along with the queen in with the HSC with the excluder on to keep them out of the rest of the brood you want to pull out.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything