Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How often do you get stung?  (Read 14182 times)

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
Re: How often do you get stung?
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 02:26:26 am »
Normally it happens whenever i do something stupid like say taking a quick peak into a hive without my suit gloves or a smoker.  So far i've had 3 stings this year only one of them wasn't my fault as one of my dogs getting stung set them off.   :-D
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 03:13:18 am »
[My eyelids get hit about 3 times a year and the swelling is tremendous.]

Shave your eyebrows off, it gives them less to grab onto.
Besides, it becomes a conversation piece at your company/family picnic!

Eye lid stings are the worst!
The stingers are about impossible to remove without a mirror and the stung eye closed.
I'd rather be stung 20 times anywhere else instead.

There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 03:26:33 am »
   To me it's a little better than full chem gear, except I don't have limited breathing from the mask. ;)

Hmm chem gear is not a bad idea... apart from not being able to hook up to an air supply... so would end up suffocating in the suit...

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 08:50:33 am »
About not being stung so far...............got nailed yesterday on top of my head!  Should have been wearing a cap!

Had refilled the sugar syrup jars with not problem.  Then, I decided to return to one of the hives to check and make sure that I had tighten the lid on one of the jars.  Lifted the top, "yeah, everything looks good with the jar lid", put the top back down and as I was placing the brick on top, a guard bee zipped out of the rear entrance!  She was all in my face but luckily (I guess) she nailed me on top of my head. 

Not much swelling though........I thought you got a lot of swelling if you were hit on the head.  Maybe just the face?  I think I will wear at least a tie-down veil from now on!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 09:18:21 am »
Not much swelling though........I thought you got a lot of swelling if you were hit on the head.

Uh, oh. BRAIN stung! The brain doesn't have any pain receptors, but don't be surprised if within 24 hours you begin to buzz uncontrollably. And everyone knows that beeks already have swelled heads, so no more expansion is possible.

Muwah haha  :evil:
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 09:54:42 am »
Free tip: Don't mow around 8 hives in shorts, bare feet, and no shirt. 

You wouldn't have a video of that moment, would you ?  :-D

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 11:41:39 am »
I'd get stung alot less if I shaved this mop of hair off.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 12:58:58 pm »
I have one hive that just started this year. As of right now I wear all protectuve gear and smoke them before I go into the hive. It seems everytime I open the hive I have one bee that is stuck to my glove, the hand area, with her stinger inbeded deep into the leather. I want to work without the gloves because I cant get a good hold on things, but I cant afford to get stung on the hand because of my job.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 01:51:39 pm »
I have one hive that just started this year. As of right now I wear all protectuve gear and smoke them before I go into the hive. It seems everytime I open the hive I have one bee that is stuck to my glove, the hand area, with her stinger inbeded deep into the leather. I want to work without the gloves because I cant get a good hold on things, but I cant afford to get stung on the hand because of my job.

try nitrile gloves they offer pretty good protection the only time I have been stung through them is when I didn't see A  bee and crushed her between my finger and the hive, plus they offer pretty good dexterity

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 02:48:49 pm »
One thing that hasn't been mentioned here are the people that actually welcome stings for arthritic reasons etc...   Myself included. No, I'm not talking of ones near the eyes or other sensitive areas nor am I speaking of tons of stings, but I welcome stings for the venom therapy, a few accidental stings on the hands weekly is ok by me, plus gloveless you get 100% dexterity.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 04:29:24 pm »
15-20 times yesterday alone. All between the wrist and fingers.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 09:51:25 pm »
This is my second year. I usually get stung once or twice per inspection, regardless of how many hives I inspect at the time. I don't usually wear a veil unless I'm in a hurry and/or can't use smoke, and I never wear gloves.

Cutouts, on the other hand, I always get stung 10-20 times, always wear a suit and gloves. I had a defensive hive that stung me more than 100 times, 50 on one bicep before I was finished. Not very gentle bees, but they are definitely the exception, not the rule. Wearing a suit helps, since the venom sac can't penetrate...just pulling the fabric away from the skin removes the stinger.

I've noticed a huge difference in my reactions to stings this year. They don't itch anymore as they heal and the swelling goes away in half the time or less than it did last year. Cutouts (probably their related stings) apparently are good for building immunity to bee venom. The cash payment also works well as a psychological balm.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2009, 12:51:10 am »
WAY too often! I took 6 tonight while doing a split and full inspection on 2 hives, including one to the tongue. Wow, that sucker hurt! I was sneaking in some honeycomb that had torn off a bar and a bee snuck on while I was getting it under my veil. Had a few nice chews and then--WHAMMO! Three to my tender underarms, another to my leg. They were seriously ticked.

Mostly I get stung on my hands but go gloveless and somewhat expect it. Tonight was the worst ever, and I even smoked (the bees, that is) the whole time!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2009, 11:24:08 am »
I'm in the hives most days.  I get stung most days.  Usually only one sting, sometimes two.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2009, 11:26:27 am »
Wow.. This thread popped way back up out of nowhere. :)  I saw the original poster and shook my head.  :) 
Charla Hinkle

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2009, 12:49:35 am »
 I don't wear any of the garb .. the kids and wife say I just don't watch ,, I do what I want and the girls have to watch out for me ,not me for them .if there were I want to see ,I move them with a finger , or knock all off the frame .. most come from putting my hand down on them . who counts , the more stings , the less my hands hurt ..  just a benny of bee keeping

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2009, 12:56:04 am »
Yeah...I'm the guy that started some of the other threads...

Thought I was a tough guy... :mrgreen:Also thought I could be zen-like and take it like a cool dude... :mrgreen:

Turns out I'm a schoolgirl that hates getting stung.. took about 5 to the backside of my knees(ouch) when I tried to check a honey super ..I was wearing a veil and using gloves..but was in shorts and flip flops and didn't use smoke..

Tell you what..I don't trust the bleep now...smoke and jeans !!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2009, 01:12:29 am »
I get stun regularly on cutouts since I don't wear gloves unless they respond adversely.  I have no problem with 15-20 stings on my hands.

Last week I was called on a large swarm that moved into a false front on a store. They moved in at about 10 in the AM and After checking the activity and location I opted for an evening removal. When I opened up the wall I had my sting proof jacket on but no gloves. That was the biggest and meanest swarm I have ever captured. I took 15 or so hits to the hands immediately so climbed down to the truck and put on my "Go to War leather gloves". Had to vacuum them and in the process got into an awkward position that put my face against the screen and I took 10 more on the lip and chin before I could move. In a couple hrs I couldn't even sip thru a straw which delighted my son immensely. Took two days for the swelling to go down so I could talk on the phone  I got enough bees to fill two mediums.

Bruce

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline beegrlAK

• New Bee
    • Blogtime in Alaska
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2009, 03:45:04 am »
Welll,,,,   after the bear upended them on Wednesday, they wanted to kill me when I went in to fix their hives.  They cooled down by this am.  I went into to do a thorough hive check and they're back bringing in nectar and behaving.  3 stings to my right hand on Wednesday, really owey, better today.   Naughty girls.
This link is to my family homepage:
http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Howdy.html

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2009, 05:40:49 pm »
This is my second year.  Last year I got stung twice, both times in the center of my bald spot, and both times because I was careless and didn't wear a veil even though I'd been warned the hives were a little testy (hives of 2 different friends).  This year I've had one stinging incident though it was 5 or 6 stings at once delivered by some members of a swarm I was collecting.  My hand swelled up like a baseball glove - not a wrinkle to be seened for 3 days.  Thankfully I had the forethought to remove my wedding ring, otherwise.....

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

anything